Under investigation for prostate cancer, travelling soon and insurance company just cancelled

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Good afternoon everyone,  I'm desperately hoping someone can help.  My husband has had his mri but awaiting a biopsy for prostate cancer. We had an annual multi trip policy  with admiral. We called to update them about my husband and despite not having a diagnosis,  they have cancelled our insurance.  We fly to Italy next week! I'm so worried we will have to cancel now.  Can anyone recommend an Insurance company for when under investigation. Looking online at a few I found in moneyhelper, when using the online quote as soon as you say you are undergoing tests it looks likely we can't get cover. Thanks in advance 

• Hi  and welcome to the community.

Based on my 24+ years experience living with and being treated for an incurable blood cancer Travel Insurance Companies are very reactive when there is uncertainty….. and their default is to cancel policies and not offer cover.

I have to be 2 years in partial remission and not on any cancer related treatment before I can get any price but these decisions are often all down to cancer types, treatment, prognosis and the resulting risk factor put on by the insurers risk assessment - I am very open to serious infections due to a reduced immune system so this is seen as a high risk factor for insurers.

Comparison sites tend to use the same algorithms so getting a clear price can be difficult and it’s not that unusual to be turned down or told to call the insurers. 

It is actually more effective to call a few insurers directly as this means that you have answered all the questions correctly and in doing this a suitable policy can be offered and price given.

As a Macmillan Volunteer I am not allowed to recommend any companies but do have a look through this Recommended Travel Insurance discussion thread (do go to the bottom of the thread and hit the >> to take you to the newest posts)

I do hope you can get cover.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks so much for the advice,  I got cover with all clear,  they won't cover the undiagnosed but a reasonable price considering for all the usual travel insurance and diagnosed conditions,  .which is perfect considering. Thanks to this group yet again,  a wonderful bunch. Stay well x

• Great news, have a wonderful time away.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge