Travel insurance

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Good morning. Trying to get travel insurance but the question on terminal has got me confused. I have stage 4 non Hodgkin’s lymphoma, I am half way through Chemo and should be finished treatment at the beginning of October. We are going on a family holiday to Florida at the end of November. I have asked the doctor about travelling and she said it would be fine. I phoned my bank insurance company and they have refused insurance for pre existing conditions. The question re: terminal has got to me because terminal I feel is when there is no hope of remission or recovery but the agent asking me the question wouldn’t give me an answer as to what they determine terminal as. Has anyone dealt with this? Thanks. 
regards, Meryl 

• Hi again , Mike from the Non-Hodgkin lymphoma group.

Has your consultant actually said that you are terminal?……. in that you have a short life expectancy due to your NHL…….. Most likely not so you are not terminal but ‘in treatment’

The problem is for conditions like NHL (blood cancers in general) insurance companies look for you to have completed treatments and be declared ‘in remission’ for a period of time before you will be given cover.

I had lots of treatment including two Stem Cell Transplants and it took 2 years post my remission date to get a good price for Europe……. the USA is a different world due to their high costs of medical al care.

Good luck in your search.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Meryl. I'm having a similar problem as my cervical cancer is now incurable after treatment didn't work. I am booked to go to Italy 1st October and my consultant said I should still be OK to go. I will need it in writing and didn't think to ask at the time. I found a firm Free Spirit who seem willing to insure me as fit to travel with a terminal prognosis but I'm still shopping around as they can't give me a quote till they get written confirmation. The helpful  man I spoke to said they didn.t need to know my long term life expectancy. A friend said Age Concern are good too.  Good Luck x