Cannot get travel insurance

• 12 replies
  • 24 subscribers

We are having great difficulty getting travel insurance for my mother. She has stage 4 lung cancer and her consultant has given her a approximately 12 months. She wants to go to her apartment in Spain one more time. We have tried at least 10 companies and can’t get cover. Any advice would be grateful

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum is struggling to get travel insurance. 

Have you had a chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Latchbrook. Thank you for your welcome. To be honest we have tried the majority of companies contained within your link. It’s been a resounding “no” from them due to Mum’s terminal prognosis. I don’t mind a high premium to cover her for a couple of weeks.  It’s just reduces the worry in the unlikely event of Mum taking a turn for the worse. We have a few more to try. The majority of the companies were sympathetic but Insure Cancer’s rep Wes downright rude!

Pete 

• Hi Pete

I'm sorry to read that you're still struggling to find insurance for your mum.

You might be interested in this post as it's the most recent post from someone with a terminal diagnosis who has got insurance. Have you tried the insurance company they've recommended?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you all for the advice and guidance. Despite all of this we have not yet secured travel insurance for my mother. We are waiting for one or two callbacks but don’t hold up a lot of hope. We have tried in excess of 20 companies. 

Thank you

Pete

• I am sorry to hear this Pete.

I do hope that one of those who call you back will be able to offer your mum insurance.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Karen did you find a insurance company as I am having same problem with my husband . The consultant said he can go away and start cancer treatment when we return but can't find anyone to insure him either . 

• Hi yes I went with Insurancewith. They asked lots of questions but we’re happy to cover me, I think I came out at £117.00 for a week in Cyprus.

• I tried them they said no as my husband is not being treated yet he is still being tested for what type of cancer he has . The consultant and nurses have said if he feels OK to travel he can before treatment begins . 

• Same said no to mine although consultant said he's fine and do him good before starting chemo,  doesn't seem fair,  insurance companies are cruel 

• I no I don't no what to do he trying his best to eat to build himself up for holiday . He will be devastated if he can't go .