Definition of "terminal" for the purposes of Travel Insurance

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have advice on what is considered "terminal" by travel insurance providers they've used in the past?

I am looking to purchase travel insurance for a short break in Europe for my mum who has lung cancer. While the initial diagnosis was that it is incurable, it has been treatable and she's now in a stable condition. Although we have been reluctant to ask the doctor for a prognosis, they have hinted it to be years rather than months.

I believe, technically speaking, a "terminal" illness is something that will eventually lead to the death of the person regardless of how long this is. However, for the purposes of travel insurance, is there usually a time factor to this?

Many thanks!

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I personally don't know what the definition of terminal is but you might want to have a look at this reply by pollyalison to a previous post in this group where she points out that "some companies class 6 months as terminal and others 12 months but if you do not have a prognosis you are classed as incurable not terminal."

Mitzie10 posted here in a reply to another poster "If your husband is still receiving treatment, then he is not terminal. I am treatable but not curable but most certainly not terminal."

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"