Help

• 9 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi

I have terminal cancer, in the bones.  I cannot find a travel insurance for a cruise I really want to go on for a 100 days. I do not want to loose this deal  that i have been quoted on, I cannot put the deposit on because it is not refundable, and i do not want to loose £5000.  Can anyone help me by mentioning any insurance they know that might be able to help me, i have phoned lots no one can seem to help Disappointed  Nothing gets me down love life, but for the first time this is getting to me, I find that it is so unfair for all of us.

Thank you in advance

T Slight smile

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is an informative and supportive place to be.

A cruise for 100 days sounds lovely but, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. You might also want to look at this thread as it includes a link to a Travel Insurance Directory. 

Lots of people here recommend that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I have used payingtoomuch.com recently for cover for both myself and my husband. We both have pre-existing medical conditions.

Do come back and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much for your quick response, I will match your list to the ones that i have already called. Thank you for the welcome too Slight smile

I will let you know if I succeed, if I do not manage to get the one for a 100 days, then I will make it shorter better than nothing at all. 

x

• You're welcome

Have the insurers you've tried so far said why you've been declined? If it's the length of time then as you said a shorter cruise would be better than no cruise at all.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Tess

Sorry to hear of your situation. Have you tried https://insurecancer.com/ ? Most insurance companies use a small number of screening formula. As I understand it Insurecancer underwrite on an individual basis. Given that most companies will not cover 100 days (I think 90 and 56 are standard for most) then they may be able to help. 

Good luck, I wish you well.

T

• Well Saga said no just to the terminal illness, which annoyed me a little because not only did i wait on the phone a long time, but there website says it covers terminal, but they stop me in midsentence as soon as the word terminal was out. Some have mentioned because they will not cover USA, Canada or Caribbean, because their health is just to expensive.

T x 

• Thank you T and beginning to see that a 100 days is to long for them, so I think you are definitely right.

• I've just had a thought about whether you are classed as incurable or terminal for travel insurance as this comes up quite often on here. 

I know you're telling the insurance companies that you are terminal but different travel insurance companies have different ideas as to what they class as terminal. This reply by pollyalison to a previous post in this group might be useful to have a look at. She points out that "some companies class 6 months as terminal and others 12 months but if you do not have a prognosis you are classed as incurable not terminal."

Mitzie10 posted here in a reply to another poster "If your husband is still receiving treatment, then he is not terminal. I am treatable but not curable but most certainly not terminal."

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Latchbrook

Well that makes sense, i am also treatable but not curable. I have been on a drug for 3 years which was working but now as stopped so its spreading again, but i will start a new drug on Thursday, which suppose to just slow it down like the one i was on for 3 years, but i will not know if this drug will work until a few months.

So do I not use the word terminal ?

T x

• I think the best thing to do is to ask the travel insurance company for their definition of terminal. 

x

Community Champion Badge