This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recommended Travel Insurance

• 250 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi everyone

As it can be time consuming looking through existing posts for travel insurance recommendations I thought it'd be a good idea to try and keep all recommendations in one place.

With that in mind I thought I'd ask that when you've found an insurance company that provided you with cover at a reasonable cost you posted that recommendation here.

If you could put a little bit of additional information eg. whether you got single trip or annual, cover for a cruise, worldwide, etc along with anything else that you think others would find helpful when they are researching that would be great.

All the recommendations come from community members and are not recommendations from Macmillan. Please make sure you do your own research as to whether they are suitable for you.

x

• After reading these posts I tried Boots Travel Insurance. My cheapest Meerkat quote was £165 but Boots quoted £45. Not much fun having to go through my medical history but worth it to save £120. So thank you to everyone who recommended Boots. 

• [deleted]

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Woohoo! At last a quote that was reasonable.

I have had Serous Uterine Cancer stage 2. I have undergone hysterectomy, ovaries/fallopian tubes gone, plus 15 lymph nodes. I've undergone 6 sessions of chemotherapy plus 25 external radiotherapy and 2 brachytherapy. A planned holiday to the Caribbean was proving to be a mare in regards to travel insurance.

My perseverance has paid off. I've paid £246.31 for 15 days Gold cover for both myself and my husband through Boots. All my op/treatment/high blood pressure are covered. This was something others wouldn't cover. A far cry from my first quote of £5900.00 and the lowest recent quote I had over the phone was £552.00. 

I know it's a pain filling in all the online questions or answering the same thing over the phone but it really does pay to keep trying.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I was fully aware of this before I took out my boots insurance. 

I actually feel that because they are under an investigation now that they will feel less likely to avoid claims now because of this.

Like all these things, you only ever hear of the horror stories which unfortunately do happen, you don’t hear about all the satisfied customers.

boots is a reputable company and I personally won’t avoid because of a handful of incidents like this.

regards

• FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember

It’s a personal choice. Reading most of these reviews it seems like the low ratings are for people who have claimed and it’s taken a while to get through and maybe a bit longer to get their money.

most people are getting their money and actually I’ve had some experience with insurance companies and it does actually take a while for the whole process.

like I say, it’s a personal choice. For me, boots insurance made it possible for me to go away this year and if I did have to claim I take my chances.

it also depends on detonations you are travelling to. In Europe I’m more than comfortable that I’d be given the right care in any hospitals , maybe if I was going to Bali for example I would reconsider.

so I think it’s depends on where you are travelling and your own personal circumstances.

• FormerMember

From my own recent experience I have found having to make a medical claim on my Boots / TIF policy horrendous. I was hospitalised for just a few hours in Miami and the bills come to $10,000 which are still unpaid and pending. This was an incident at the end of February and after this story originally broke. I feel that I’ve paid a premium but in fact there’s no intention of a payout on behalf of the insurer. Beware. 

• FormerMember

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get your money back soon - I suspect they will pay out eventually.

let people make their own decisions though.

• FormerMember

The point of this forum is to allow people to make their own informed decisions. I don’t get your last point.