This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recommended Travel Insurance

• 250 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi everyone

As it can be time consuming looking through existing posts for travel insurance recommendations I thought it'd be a good idea to try and keep all recommendations in one place.

With that in mind I thought I'd ask that when you've found an insurance company that provided you with cover at a reasonable cost you posted that recommendation here.

If you could put a little bit of additional information eg. whether you got single trip or annual, cover for a cruise, worldwide, etc along with anything else that you think others would find helpful when they are researching that would be great.

All the recommendations come from community members and are not recommendations from Macmillan. Please make sure you do your own research as to whether they are suitable for you.

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I have a whole catalog of stuff from Melanoma, type 2 diabetis, blood pressure, TIA stroke and enlarged prostate and Saga and others were ready to offer terms. Contrary to what they used to do, Direct Line started to cover cancer last year but not my TIA. I had to cancel last June because of the TIA at the last minute and Saga covered my claim without affecting future business if done on a single policy basis.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Folks,

Like everyone else, found travel insurance premiums prohibitive.   Quotes so far from about £1200 to £2600 (including Saga at £1767) due to my wife's bowel cancer with metastases to the liver.   Treatable (3 years and going strong) but not curable.   A friend of mine whose wife is now >5 years after liver cancer surgery and "all clear" uses his NatWest bank's Platinum account which costs around £250 a year, which includes travel insurance and adds about £200 to include cancer cover.   I tried the same with Lloyds Platinum account, their account cost is also £21 a month which includes travel insurance and lots of other benefits.   They refused to cover cancer related issues, but with 3 years experience I believe the risk of cancer related problems is negligible - it's the baggage cover and the risk of accidents that we need to cover. £252 for annual cover, with that exclusion, plus other benefits, is a lot more attractive.   BTW both banks are underwritten by AXA.   Well worth investigating.

• Hi  and welcome to the online community. 

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your recommendation for travel insurance.

I hope you have a great holiday. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, In case this is useful for anyone else, I've found Insure and Go covered what I needed post breast cancer. I got single trip insurance, 3 months in advance of a week's holiday to Italy. I finished active treatment for breast cancer in July last year, and now just have precautionary hormone treatment for 10 years. I put all these details in the form online, and it only increased the cost by £5 - total of £47 for me and my family.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm glad you found some reasonably priced travel insurance and thank you for taking the time to recommend it here.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for this info. B4 looking here I was either being refused quotes or was quoted £450+

got it for £79 through Insurewith,com for single trip cover to USA and Canada. I have follicular lymphoma, high blood pressure and underactive thyroid

• That's great news and thanks for sharing your recommendation.

I hope you have a great trip!

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi, I’m not making a recommendation but if anyone is going to try All Clear then there was a TV advert today. This gave a discount code for 20% off the base price. If anyone is interested the code is “TVAd20”. I think it was valid until the end of March. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi can you recommend a travel insurance please I have lung cancer finished treatment am travelling to Athens in April thank you 

• Hi

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have had cancer but you've come to the right place for recommendations. The thread that you've posted this message on is where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are so just scroll through and make a note of the recommendations.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Also some insurers might want to know if you've been given the okay to travel by your doctor.

I do hope that you can get insurance and that you have a great time away.

x

Community Champion Badge