This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recommended Travel Insurance

• 250 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi everyone

As it can be time consuming looking through existing posts for travel insurance recommendations I thought it'd be a good idea to try and keep all recommendations in one place.

With that in mind I thought I'd ask that when you've found an insurance company that provided you with cover at a reasonable cost you posted that recommendation here.

If you could put a little bit of additional information eg. whether you got single trip or annual, cover for a cruise, worldwide, etc along with anything else that you think others would find helpful when they are researching that would be great.

All the recommendations come from community members and are not recommendations from Macmillan. Please make sure you do your own research as to whether they are suitable for you.

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember

Exactly my point. So they paid out.

press coverage probably means they are more likely to now.

im sure people appreciate these links though.

anyway, all I’m saying is let people make their own mind up rather than telling them to avoid. Telling people to avoid at all costs may we’ll be preventing them from being able to go on holiday when you don’t know for sure that they will never pay out.

i recommend boots btw

paul

• FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember

Apologies, I hadn’t realised that you needed to have made a claim in order to recommend an insurance company on here. I retract my recommendation.

I suspect most recommendations on here are from people who have not claimed through them.

i recommended based on the fact that boots insurance was able to give me a quote based on my actual condition that enabled me and my family to go on a lovely 2 holidays this year.  Not many companies split down things like still being on treatment but being in remission, so for non-Hodgkins lymphoma patients this was crucial in obtaining a realistic quote. I have no idea if they will pay out a claim which is similar to any insurance company that I have ever used for car insurance, home insurance, etc. I put some trust in that and have seen many stories of successful claims through boots as well as some unsuccessful ones. I suspect if you dig deep enough you will find this for all insurance companies.

based on this new rule, I cannot recommend a travel insurance company for cancer patients.

• FormerMember

Isn’t the point of travel insurance that they pay out when you claim and are in dire need Rolling eyes. If you read the BBC article it says clearly that there is allegedly a 40,000 word dossier of complaints compiled already that the FCA are investigating. These complaints allege that TIF tried to delay or avoid making payouts. With this background, people can make an informed decision about insurance cover for themselves. 

• FormerMember

I’m in total agreement to let people make their own decisions.

• [deleted]

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi

Just to give some hope to people struggling to get reasonable holiday insurance -

I was diagnosed with a tumour in my duodenum in July 2018. It was all removed by surgery, and all other organs were clear  but  chemo was recommended to reduce the chance of another tumour growing.  Chemo started in September and finished in April, when I was declared All Clear!  My "old" insurance company won't cover me until 3 years post treatment, but I now have annual cover with Boots for Europe, including winter sports and trekking at altitude for ~£130 - which I thought was very reasonable.

Happy holidays everyone!

• Take a look through this thread for recommendations from other community members.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi everyone, 

I'm sure you may have noticed that this thread has had a few technical issues over the past few days, unfortunately because of a glitch on the site some of the posts deleted themselves. Luckily we have managed to get the content back and I will post it below shortly. It will  however look a bit different, though it should still hopefully read as a conversation.

Any problems or concerns please don't hesitate to send us an email at community@macmillan.org.uk. 

Kindest regards, 

Rachel 
    Macmillan's Community Team