Rant #2. TED talk about doctors and training and death

• 13 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Dying and death confront every new doctor and nurse. In this book excerpt, Atul Gawande asks: Why are we not trained to cope with mortality?

http://t.ted.com/93oc1ua

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

I have only dipped into this thread so I hope I don’t say something tactless .....

there is a very good book about “ planning for death like you plan for birth “ called “ with the end in site “

i also like the doula idea.......is this something Marie Curie nurses do ??

Best wishes x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello m - j,

I think that you have put your finger on the inherent difference between incurable and terminal. I have hesitated in joining the incurables group (though the info I've been given so far indicates my cancer is incurable) as I was unsure whether I'd really be an appropriate member. I can understand that for many in that group, their littler remaining time is absolutely precious. X

Anita

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Anita 

Thanks so much for your supportive message and so sorry you too are incurable. There is now a new subgroup within the incurables group for those like myself on no treatment. This has enabled those approaching end of life to find each other and exchange support. Please do reconsider joining in the conversations as you would be made very welcome x x