Responding to a friend's diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi,  I have just had a message from my friend who was being operated on yesterday to remove part of her oesophagus in order to clear her cancer. The message says that they had to stop the operation because they found the cancer was strongly attached to her aorta and thorax and that she has been placed on palliative care now.  I do not not how to reply.  I am usually flippant in my messages but heard on the radio recently that cancer sufferers sometimes just want someone to acknowledge how bad they are feeling.  I have no idea what I should say.  Sorry to hear your news sounds useless.  Any suggestions?

• Hi Chitty Chitty welcome to the forum. It is never easy trying to say the right thing or avoid saying the wrong things. However, it sounds like your heart is in the right place and your intention is to support your friend.

How about "I am so sorry to hear that and I'm thinking of you. I am here anytime that you feel that you want/need to chat". Would that work?  xxxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for all the suggestions.  I am quite pleased with the message I cobbled together and I think it was well received.