STOPPED IN OUR TRACKS - FOR NOW !

• 23 replies
  • 18 subscribers

For anyone who read my posts about how we are dealing with Colin's incurable diagnosis i have an update.

We managed our Safari trip to South Africa in March, we went for nearly 3 weeks, Colin took his steroids and was really well, all things considered. We stayed at 4 lodges which were no more than 2 hours drive apart and we went on game drives twice every day that we were there. It was amazing and i know that Colin absolutely loved every minute of it.  We met some amazing people, most didnt know anything about Colin's illness and we enjoyed doing what we love without a thought for the cancer. I know we are so lucky to have been able to do this.

We have been home 3 weeks now and last weekend Colin was out having a few beers with two of his sons and managed to fall and break his hip !!! He ended up in Ninewells hospital and had a hip replacement, needless to say he has been in a lot of pain but after 5 days in hospital he got home and is recovering here. now. It has taken his mind of the incurable cancer a bit though....

I am not sure how long before he can get fully mobile but we will take each day at a time and hopefully get back to more adventures soon. We have a Motorhome sitting waiting on us to get around and do some more bucket list things. I think that might have been our last abroad trip together , well flying anyway, which does make me sad but we live in a beautiful part of the world and have so much to see here. 

Please everyone keep doing what makes you happy.  I am looking forward to Colin being well enough to get to our local garden centre soon and then we can build from there.I am back working from home more to be here for him and i had forgotten how good it is to just be here and pop my head through and maybe take a wee break for a chat and a cuppy while he is watching TV or reading or chilling. The weather is a bit warmer and i may even encourage him into the garden later if i can. I am having to brush up on my nursing skills as they are lacking apparently and my get up and get on with it attitude doesnt really work with a broken hip im told.....

I try not to think of what i know our future holds and live in the now, but it is hard sometimes.

Love to all in the same position, we can only do our best for the ones we love and try to be good to ourselves too.

Liz xx

• I feel like I have abandoned you Marion, I hope you and Ron enjoyed your latest trips.

Its been a busy few weeks and we gave Colin a fantastic send off on the 19th of August. My house is full of flowers and cards still and I was overwhelmed by the support that everyone has given me . I still can’t take it in that Colin isn’t here anymore .

I’ve spent the last year knowing the day would come but wasn’t ready for it at all. 

im keeping busy and have my business to get stuck into so the days are passing by ….

I have enjoyed the support I got from here and if I’ve helped a few people along the way then that makes me feel proud. 

I will keep checking in though to hear about your trips etc

take Care 

Liz xx

• Dear Liz. 

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story snd being inspirational.  Your positivity has been amazing.  

I was sorry to hear in your last post that sadly Colin is continuing his journey up in heaven. But so glad you josh got to Africa and did amazing things together.  

My partner not want to go znywhere   but I manage to get him out to marina for a coffee and cake sometimes. 

He is happy for me to go znd see family and friends and I sometimes stay overnight  but I font like leaving him too long. 

He was diagnosed in May 2019 do is doing very well. But refused all treatment. So we just go day by day. 

Glad you have your work to keep you busy  . Take care.

• Hi Liz, been thinking about you loads and hoping you’re ok, as well as you can be anyway…. I remember the amount of flowers and cards we received from well wishers when we lost our boy and they brought me comfort knowing so many people thought about us, hopefully you’ve felt some comfort too. 

We were looking forward to going away this coming Friday, for a week (possibly more if we decide to stay longer), but unfortunately we’ve had a tough week and a half. Ron’s brother, who is 19 years older, was taken ill and we were afraid we were going to lose him. He suffers from Alzheimer’s and Vascular Dementia and when an infection took hold of him it was quite drastic, to the extent we thought we were going to lose him. So, off to Oxford Hospital we went to see him. Luckily he pulled through and is still with us. But…. during the hospital visit Ron picked up a virus and five days later it went to his chest, so right now he is struggling with pneumonia…. The GP was great and responded immediately by giving him strong antibiotics, but it’s early days as to whether they will clear up the infection, we’ll know in the next 48hrs… fingers crossed they do…. otherwise it means a stint in hospital, which Ronald really doesn’t want to do. So, our trip has been delayed for four days, but I am being optimistic that we will go on it albeit just a little later. 

On top of Ron’s brother falling ill and Ron himself, our middle son has also fallen ill and is now in hospital… my goodness it never rains but it pours! I must admit I had a bit of a wobble today when my emotions, suddenly out of the blue, started to get the better of me and I was surprised to find myself quite tearful, but luckily only for a very short time as I quickly made a cup of tea and distracted myself… all this must be getting to me more than I realise. Like you, Liz, I know I am preparing myself for what lies ahead but I also know it will be just awful and I am dreading being on my own. It scares the living daylights out of me.

Well, I am now going to email my friends who were looking forward to joining us on our trip and let them know that they might have to wait an extra few days. I am staying positive that we will get there and then we’ll book up our next one which will be over my birthday in October. 

Take care Liz, it’s good you have your business to occupy you and hopefully take your mind off a little… even if it is only a slight reprieve.

Talk again soon,

Marion