Hello I am new and would really like advice on how to cope please

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

My husband of almost 40 years has been diagnosed with Metastatic Head and Neck cancer. He has been having visual and balance problems since March but did not receive this diagnosis until August when he had a very large lymph node swelling in his neck. We have been told he has a very small patch on the lung which cannot be biopsied as it’s too small but other areas also showed on Petscan. They have said it’s not curable and he is currently having palliative chemotherapy. No prognosis has been given as yet. My world is falling apart. I am trying to keep strong for him and for our wonderful children but I honestly feel like I am drowning and I don’t know how I am going to cope going forward. Can anyone please tell me how to cope with this? I also care for my 93 year old mum who lives with us and am dealing with a house move in the new year. My husband was as fit and strong as a man half his age when this came out of the blue. Other than his visual and balance problems he feels well but everything I have read gives a poor prognosis. He thinks he is going to get better and it is tearing me apart. Please tell me how I am going to get through this I am so desperate. 

• Hi there, I’m so sorry to hear this news & what you are going through right now is so unfair!! My mum got diagnosed with throat cancer 4 years ago now & they gave her every treatment going!! RadiothHeartrapy then a full neck dissection & then immunotherapy! Please ask if any of these will work for your husband? I know the doctors are very good they didn’t want to give my mum immunotherapy because oHeart the cost & we had to beg & it was the best thing for her! Unfortunately after 4 years of fighting it there is nothing more they can do for my mum so I feel your pain! No one deserves to go through Hearthis just know you are doing an ans big job looking after your mum too & being strong for your husband & your kids! Just take every day as it comes & speak to every doctor you can!! Sending you lots Heartf love & prayers for you & your family Heart️

• Thank you for your kind words sky1 and I am so sorry to hear about your mum she has done so well to fight this for so long. At present my husband is receiving chemotherapy only. I have questioned why no radiotherapy to be told quite sternly the cancer is too large and it would kill him to have radiotherapy. His oncologist is a very stern man and quite unapproachable. I admit because I have done nothing but read up on it all since day 1 I do ask a lot of questions but I don’t try and tell them their job! I just want to keep him as long as possible. I just can’t believe this has happened to him. I lost my dad to cancer age 65 and my dear brother was only 59 within a couple of weeks f diagnosis. My other brother has been fighting for the last two years. It just keeps hitting my family but I never could have seen it coming with my husband. He’s so strong and fit and was a long distance driver still working as he did 30 years ago. What’s made it so much worse is his eyes which they think could be paraneoplastic syndrome. He can’t move about with knocking into things and is just dizzy all the time. This is what showed up before anything else. The pain I feel most of the time is too much to bear and what it is doing to my two beautiful children is ripping me apart. Thank you for your message and I really hope you are ok and have some quality time with your dear mum x