Stem cell harvest - bloods too low

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 10 subscribers

The stem cell team have been trying to get my body to generate stem cells but my wbc is too low. I’ve needed a blood transfusion and platelets and after a week of lenograstim my body still isn’t playing ball. I’m gutted. 

They are going to do a pet scan next week hopefully and said they may need to give me body a 4 week test and then give me the injections again then harvest then week later on for stem cell transplant but this all depends on my scan.

has anyone else experienced this. I so disappointed in my body. They have said the pet scan will determine if it’s stem cell transplant or CAR-T. 

• Hi Karen, as my oldest granddaughter would say “..this is pants grandad”....... but from what I have seen its not that unusual for this to happen, it’s not an exact science. I could not get into remission so Auto was never on the table so had two donor SCTs.

There are a number of folks on the Community who have had the same issues and eventually their BM started to play ball so let’s look for them to pick up on your post and for the BM to wake up.

Mike ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi,  hopefully the rest will allow sufficient stem cells to be collected.  I guess they used GCSF injections to promote stem cell production but I had read about plerixafor which is used as a second line and often does the trick.  Understand it is expensive but approved for use it situations when not enough stem cells being produced.

Hope all works out.

Mike

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Whatcanyoudo

I was on lenigrastim for almost a week but my wbc was too low as well as my platelets and haemoglobin hence the platelets and blood transfusion I’m also neutropenic. I should hopefully have a pet scan next week which was going to be the decider if stem cell or car t but I’m so disappointed. They’ve said it happens often just need to give my body a rest to recover 

• I think you have to be realistic that this may not happen just as you thought.

I remember after my second donor SCT I was self injecting for months and having blood transfusions as I was just like yourself - it’s hard but let’s see this move in a more positive direction for you ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

They did say it often happens and I’ve been lucky so far to not need any bloods transfusions or platelets up until now. My bloods have been very low and I’m now neutropenic. It just feels like it’s an uphill battle. 

• Oh it is an uphill battle indeed but keep looking for the greater good in all this ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Thank you I suffer from anxiety so it can be hard at times. I’m so glad you are here on this forum. It’s nice to speak with someone who understands. My husband and is great but as he says he’s not experiencing it. I am waiting to see a psychologist to help with the mental health side of it. With covid and now the north east going into lockdown it’s makes it much more lonely and difficult 

• Do try and talk with the psychologist. My SCT centre (The Beatson in Glasgow) assigns a unit psychologist before SCT starts and they walked the complete journey and out the other end with my wife and I. The journey can very challenging so all and any help is a bonus.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Unfortunately there is a 10 week waiting list to see a psychologist both at the Freeman it maybe shorter at Maggies. So at least I’m on the waiting list. I think half the battle is the mental side it’s so tough psychologically. 

• Do talk with your Maggie’s, our one in Inverness is great and yes it’s been closed but are now doing one on one support now but they have been doing telephone and zoom support.

We also have a good monthly Heamatology support group at our Maggie’s (now on Zoom) where our Heamatology SCN helps out with answering questions and general support. Both Macmillan and Lymphoma Action run a Buddy Scheme where you can be matched with a support buddy.... everything helps ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge