Haemoglobin/platelet level for transfusion

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

I've asked Caroline this, but wondered if anyone has experience.

Is there a standard threshold level of platelets/haemoglobin when they advise having a transfusion. I was told it was 20 for platelets, but I'm not sure if that is patient specific or depends on illness. I have relapsed AML. Two weeks ago I had HB of 93 and told no transfusion needed. A week later HB was 85, they said I needed one unit, non-urgent 3 days later. Last test Friday I was 93 again but nurse thought I would need transfusion on Monday. 

That was the end of the question, the rest is just me grumbling.

The Friday haematology nurse couldn't confirm I need a transfusion as at 5pm the SCT team had all gone home for the weekend. Now I will have to ring early Monday, hope I can get an answer, though I know the SCT staff will be tied up with a regular clinic. Then get a taxi if they give me a time to go in.

Apart from that I've twice been given different appointment times on the same day. Getting very stressed by it all. 

Tessa

• Hi Tessa,

please don’t stress! I’m not sure about platelet levels but believe haemoglobin levels are relative to how you are; daughter FELT rough around the 80 level but once went down to 65 and was ok; generally an adult woman is around 100+, possibly 120+. You will notice it’s low if you get breathless on exertion, eg climbing stairs. At that point it’s useful to report it, to get a transfusion. 
    hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Tessa,

Easy for me to write, but really hope you are able to control your mind racing. I was also told 20 for platelets and I was given transfusion when in the 70s. I’m really hoping you can get these counts kicked into shape Tessa.

Thinking about you.

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Thanks both, that's very useful. The man getting transfusion beside me was HB 77. I feel ok with HB in the 90s, was getting a bit breathless at 83, but I was cautious what I did.  Helps to keep drinking water. Back in 2016 before diagnosis I was functioning at most things but getting tired. Then they found I was down to 63.

Tessa

• Good morning Tessa, falling below 80 has always been the trigger for my HB for transfusions. 

Had my full bloods done a few weeks back and are looking good just my Platelets are at 142, just under the 150-410 level but they are happy with this as it may never recover into the middle levels.

HB is at 146 well in the 130-170 range.

I do look for you to get all fixed up with a positive way forward on this Tessa ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge