What to do in hospital for stem cell treatment

• 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hiya all 

I know it's quite a way off (December) but am thinking of things that I can do when I am in hospital for stem cell treatment. 

I want to use my phone or laptop and was wonding about watching stuff on Netflix, has anyone else done this if so are there any tips for usage and WiFi.

Got some jigsaws and I read quite a bit. 

Any suggestions for how to pass this time would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Dave

• Hi Dave, lets see if anyone had their SCT in Poole.

This is some info about the BEAM you will be having, It can be a big hit but its not for long. I had a different conditioning but did have the M in BEAM and that is Melphalan.

Have a look at this thread about having MelphalanDuring the M you may have to do the ice pole sucking thing. I asked to start 30 mins before, through the 30 mins IV and 30 mins after to stop your mouth turning into one big ulcer!!!!

Some SCT Units don’t do this but on the whole Rhodes who do this have much less problems with Mycosis,

You do need to use all the mouth wash you are given to the letter as you will be open to bad mycosis. I was given a two pack oral rinse called Caphosol but not all SCT units use it as it is rather expensive.

As to your question, have a look at this great threadChecklist for SCT Unit where we have collected some folks thoughts about surviving in the SCT Unit.

Some SCT Units do have unlimited Wi-fi but you need to check with them.

A little tip for using the forum - you don’t need to start a new discussion for each question, you can just add to your thread at any time by hitting the reply button on any of the thread posts. Always put the name of the person you are replying back to as each thread runs in the order they were posted.

Always around to help out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Dave

There is someone else who is from Poole and who posts here.  He knows Poole well.  I have forgotten who, for a moment - but he's usually around quite a lot on here. 

The Regional Transplant Unit is in Southampton and I don't know whether you will be actually be having your transpant there?  I's where I had my allo and I know it well. 

There are a combination of new rooms in the unit and older rooms.  The latter are smaller and they try to use those for readmitted patients, unless there is a new room available, or those who contract a virus and need to be isolated from the other patients.  The new rooms are where they usually admit transplant patients.  They are huge and modern, with en suite facilities.  They have their own large-screen tv, an X-box and exerise bike, as well as a fridge and coffee-making facilities. 

Both the in-patient ward (C6) and the day centre (C7) are served by unlimited, free, fast broadband, supplied by the Teenage Cancer Trust.   I had a Netflix subscription while I was in there and  was able to watch films and series day and night, if I wanted to. 

There are a number of us here who are patients of the Wessex Transplant Centre at Southampton and will be able to answer your questions, if that's where you go. 

With all best wishes,

Sheri 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I couldn't read - parially my eyesight was off and partially unable to concentrate. Thankfully the hospital had a rec department that did an exercise class and a craft daily. I mostly slept. Good luck and know that a month of boredom is nothing compared to a long life!

• Music, trashy tv, audio books can help, noise cancelling headphones (though not cheap!) can help loads!

hope you cope ok, and as Alissa says, a month of boredom is worth it for the long life afterwards!

best wishes, keep posting!

hugs xxx

Moomy