Gallbladder

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 12 subscribers

On Wednesday I woke up in a lot of pain in my upper stomach and side, took myself along to yj6 cancer assessunit at my hospital a d a  ultrasound showed an inflammation of the gallbladder and some minor gallstones! Was taken to Edinburgh Royal Inand then to MRI which showed gallstones, sludge and what looked like 2 tiny stones in the common bile duct so the surgeons liased with the haem-team and decided that as I was so septic, the organ had to come out. Woke up after the surgery yesterday to a wound four times the size i thought it would be and a drain in the side. Turns out my infection was so bad the gallbladder was beginning to disintegrate a d the two stones in my CBD was actually one big one which nearly perforated the duct spreading that infection EVERYWHERE.

You feel the slightest bit off no matter how vague your symptoms seem, you go to your doctor folks!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Typos again, silly phone 

• Ah Kirsty, I am so sorry to hear this, gentle ((hugs)) to you. 

This was a scary, fast moving issue so well done you getting it checked out and that the team in Edinburgh reacted quickly. 

You are so correct that it is important to get the smallest issue checked. Most are nothing but better safe than sorry. My team have caught Sepsis quickly twice but it did need me to be proactive.

Some recovery time needed, take care and heal well xx 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Kirsty,

Really sorry to read your update, but well done for getting yourself sorted out, it sounds like it could have been really serious if you hadn’t. You have had such a tough run of things recently, I’m really hoping things settle down for you and you get a smoother run from now on.

All the best

Greg

• Hi Kirsty,

so very sorry you had this emergency surgery, but good for you getting yourself seen and sorted!

hope recovery from now on is a lot less traumatic, steady and successful!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Kirsty,

You’re certainly having a time of it- but I have to say that Edinburgh are certainly on the ball, it was ERI that picked up Katy’s leukaemia for a blood test for a pain in her stomach so I cannot thank them enough and obviously the same for yourself- we’re lucky to have the NHS as they certainly step up to the mark . Hope you’re feeling better now and we will get that coffee even if it next year!

judith 

KT’s mum 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just an update for you all! Less than two days after my surgery they discovered a massive bile leak from the common bile duct that was seriously impacting my liver so within an hour I was back in theatre! 22 staples and four drains later, i spent another week in HDU. I'm still in hospital but in a general surgery ward now and all but one of the drains have been removed, and the staples removed yesterday. Still struggling with the oral meds so have had to have a few of them IV and of course with on going GVHD and now no gallbladder, the diahorrea is back the heat isn't helping either!

Trying hard to keep eating but the appetite has entirely disappeared and all that wonderful physical recovery and strength I'd fought so hard to win back has been undone, and made worse by the 18 inch wound I'm dealing with! What next haha!

• Ah Kirsty, so sorry to hear your ongoing issues - healing ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• So sorry to read your update Kirsty, you are having an incredibly tough time. All you can do is keep plugging away, I cling to the belief that the body can put up with a hell of a lot and still come out the other side.

Have they given you a potential discharge date?

Keep hanging in there, one day, even one hour at a time if you have to Kirsty, we’re all routing for you. 

This post transplant period can be full of knockbacks and you are getting some significant ones. All you can really do is face the thing that is being thrown at you at that moment. Here’s hoping you can get out soon and start building that strength back up. And then a much smoother run from here on in.

All the very best

Greg

• Oh Kirsty,

you're having more than your fair share of problems, really hope things ease off very soon for you and you begin to feel better. Hopefully now the worst of the heat outside has eased off, you too will improve. 

Sending healing hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Wow, youve been through a lot! Keep chugging, i guess. I think you'll be back on your feet soon. At least you know the drill this time.

Speedy recovery,