SCT Late May

• 50 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Good morning all

My date has finally arrived ! I am going into UHW Cardiff on the 15 th of May for my stem cell transplant.

I have a 12/12 match donor from the USA . I will be having reduced intensity chem due to my age ,62nd birthday 18th May.

I am in complete remission ,feeling great at the moment so lets hope this helps on I know could be a rocky road.

Mark

• Good morning Mark , this good news in a weird sort of way lol, but this the way forward and can put your condition into long term remission.

Have your team told you the exact chemo conditioning they lan to use?

This is a thread that Moomy started a number of years back looking at things that helped when deing in the SCT Unit

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/stem_cell_transplants_for_blood_cancers/f/33217/t/103307

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Good morning Mark , this good news in a weird sort of way lol, but this the way forward and can put your condition into long term remission.

Have your team told you the exact chemo conditioning they lan to use? If you are having Melphalan as part of your conditioning have a look st this thread.

This is a thread that Moomy started a number of years back looking at things that helped when deing in the SCT Unit.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mark

I have not long had an Auto at UHW! I was discharged in March. Have you stayed on the ward before? 

I personally found I didn't have as much info as liked before I was admitted so feel free to ask me anything that I may be able to answer! 

I hope all goes well for you

Xx

HopefulMummy123 x

• Ah, I just read your profile and it looks as though you have more inpatient experience there than me...!! 

At least you have a better chance of remembering all of the nurses names ;-)

Best wishes

Xx

HopefulMummy123 x

• Hi Mike and HopefulMummy

Thanks for the info Mike. I forgot to ask what the chemo was ,infact i forgot to ask a lot of questions !! I did ask how it compared to the Flag ida strength wise and she said similar. I can probably find out more as i have an appointment on Friday for more tests.

My blood group will change from O to A not quite sure what that involves.

HopefulMummy yes I have got to know B4 ward quite well,they are an amazing bunch of people.I was discharged the day before you so we were in at the same time !

Mark

• Hi Mark,

varying hospitals seem to use varying RIC, daughter had Fludarabine, Campath and Melphalan at the Christie. 

Fludarabine wasn’t too bad, And she felt able to escape the ward for a few hours for the first day or two, as it wasn’t till about Day -3 that they used Campath. 

She too went from O to A, and in fact Rhesus negative to positive, as far on the blood group spectrum as possible. But it took a couple of years for her group to change and all that time she had been dependant on regular transfusions. So do be prepared just in case! Her donor was German.

take care and keep posting 

hugs xxx

Moomy

• What a coincidence!

Xx

HopefulMummy123 x

• Yes its Fludarabine, Campath and Melphalan that will be my pre SCT chemo.

I also had 20 minutes of nebulised Pentamidine which is supposed to help prevent lung infections. Not very nice reminded of the only time I tried smoking my Dads Players No 6 !! 

• Mark, its very important that you have a good look at the Melphalan Thread.

From our experience, some hospital just don't do the Ice Pole sucking thing 30mins before, all the way through and 30mins after the Melphalan IV.

Mouth ulcers can be a big issue and does have a knock on effect on being able to eat well and this in turn effects the mental and physical side of recovery.

I was given a two pack oral rinse called Caphosol - my head Consultant said it costs a lot of money!! But once the mucositis gets past a certain point the Caphosol will not be so effective and more specific anti-fungal/painkiller treatments need to be used to get the condition under control. 

So I set my phone to go off every three hours 7-8 times a day to make sure I did the mouth wash to the letter and even set a timer to make sure I had it in my mouth for the time required. 

I was also given Nystatin. Nystatin is an antifungal medication that fights infections caused by fungus. It is taken by mouth and used to treat yeast infections in the mouth or stomach. I had to keep it in my mouth for as long as I could then swallow it with a glass of water....... but it is rank :( I mean horrible :(……….. but if if you use all the stuff your team gives you to the letter you should be ok.

I was on Pentamidine from day 304 post second SCT every 4 weeks for 3 months, its the most disgusting thing ever but very effective at protecting the lungs. It was used to give me a break from taking Co-Trimoxazole (Septrin)

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge