Medical problems post SCT for myeloma

• 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all, not posted for a while. I am now 17 months post sct for myeloma and been told I am still in remission.even though I still have bone pain and still struggle to walk for any distance recently had MRI scans on spine and hips they now tell me I have early stages of arthritis in both hips, prolapse discs in spine and degenerative bone disorder which none of these were picked up on prior to stc.also just been told I am diabetic and now have liver disease.has anybody else had similar problems post SCT. I would be grateful for any advice, thanx in advance. 

• Hi again  the problem post SCT is differentiating between ‘left over’ issues because of the SCT process and other medical issues that may well happen anyway…. SCT or not

I can only refer to my post life after having 2 Allo (donor) SCTs

More specifically after my sr ind Allo SCT in Oct 2025….. I am left with heart problems due to a reaction to the Melphlan so initially A-Fib on and off for between Oct 2015 and April 2022 when I had a heart attack….. but a few stents later and I was back on my feet and doing good.

I put some weight in over the 2 years after Allo number 2 so a blood test indicated that I was pre-diabetic but a change in diet helped to take me back from the diabetes cliff edge.

Even 8+ years out I have regular chest infections but my trusty on the shelf antibiotics catches these before they develop…. although over the past 8 years I have been 5 times back in hospital (32 days) with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia x2 and Neutropenic Sepsis x2.

I often have kidney infections but this is often my fault as at times I don’t drink enough water.

Amazingly my Spinal Osteoarthritis (first diagnosed in 2010) has disappeared and I am no longer in meds for this.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the info Mike, sounds like you've definitely been through it yourself and still battling, not to sure I can do the same 

Hi all just joined ,just starting my second week of treatment so still not sure what to fully expect from meds. Time will tell.

• Back in late 2013 I was told that Allo SCT had to work….. if it didn’t I would only have a few years on palliative care…… so I am living the dream.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge