Re Stem cell transplant

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Good morning all. Some will remember be being concerned about my husband’s SCT. Well he had it 5 weeks ago. All went well for the first week but then he got Sepsis. It took quite a few days to find which bug was responsible however I’m glad to say this was eventually found and the correct antibiotics given. Unfortunately these antibiotics had a detrimental affect on my husband’s heart and he was moved to ICU. At times his heart beat was between 180 to 200 bpm. However I cannot fault the fantastic care he has received and he has now been moved back to the Haematology Ward. To add to all this we have now found out he has a blood clot in his right arm which will take 3 to 6 months to break down. He is also now retaining water and all his limbs have swollen up. We are hopeful that this latest set back is the last. I can’t wait to get him home again. His heart rate is now back at 60 to 64 bpm.

I say all this not to put anyone off having it done,  we knew the risks and we still did it. My husband was just unlucky but hopefully because he was so fit and we are both determined to get through this life will be all the sweeter. 

• Hi again  and thank you for your update..... and well done your husband and you…. It’s a bumpy road to navigate.

Unfortunately these post SCT 'things' come with the turf...... but these clinical teams are used to this and will deal with everything that comes along.

I know the post SCT challenges very well..... post my second Allo SCT (Oct 2015) I was 7 times back in hospital (40 days) with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia x2, Neutropenic Sepsis x2, A Fib (caused by my SCT conditioning that put me in CCU Unit a few times) and a heart attack last  April...... but I would not change a thing as I am still here living a great life.

You may find this link helpful as you and husband navigate the post SCT world Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

1. Oh I quite agree I’m sure it’ll all work out in the end. Unfortunately my husband had had AF for a number of years so we knew it was a risk. In ICU the doctor said my husband had the heart of an athlete (he’s 75) thanks to walking 5 or 6 miles a day. I’m sure he’ll be back walking in a few months time.