Any experience of Reduced Intensity Chemo ahead of SCT?

• 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Morning All,

My dad has made it to his SCT admission following his relapse last October. So proud of him. He had his hair clippered Monday and looks quite thuggish but it's better than we expected! He joked that he'd 'done the hard part now'!

It was day 1 of RIC yesterday - he doesn't really ask many questions about what his treatment actually entails, but I'm visiting him today and will hopefully get a bit more info. If all goes well he'll have his new birthday next week I assume. 

I'm struggling with the new normal (dad was living with me following diagnosis and I'm his full time carer, counsellour, life coach, personal assistant!) - the old feelings of panic are back - more fleetingly this time though.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had the RIC consolidation chemo ahead of an allo transplant and how you're doing now?

Thanks,

Jody

"What if everything goes right?"

• Hi  and well done your dad, it’s a scary time but the ‘system’ will take care of your dad…… you just need to go with the flow and when you can, ask questions as this will help you understand.

RIC is one of the many conditioning treatments and it is reduced compared to other types but this will have been chosen to match your dad.

RIC does not have Melphalan in it so it will be kinder on him.

Conditioning treatment are used to basically kill off his bone marrows ability to produce the various blood cells (white, red..) that make our immune system work. Then when the new cells go in the regeneration of his immune system starts.

I had two Allo SCTs and for the first I had no chemo, it was very new and we gave it a go as if it worked I would recover very quickly. I did indeed recover quickly but my Allo did not work….. but I know others who had the exact same conditioning and they are years in remission doing great.

Conditioning is just a tool, it’s the new Stem Cells that build the new person. The initial 10 days post cell infusion will be difficult but then it all recovers.

Some people recover rather quickly, others take some time…… I had my second Allo a month before my 60th birthday….. I turned 67 last November and I am living a great life.

He will be well looked after…… supportive ((hugs)) to you x

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike - super supportive as always. I feel better already for reading your message Relaxed

• The main challenge is Mouth ulcers and mucositis…… what ever mouth care he is given he MUST use it.

I set my phone to go off every three hours 7-8 times a day to make sure I did the mouth wash to the letter and even set a timer to make sure I had it in my mouth for the time required. 

I was using a two pack oral rinse called Caphosol - my head Consultant said it costs a lot of money!!

I was also given Nystatin an antifungal medication that fights infections caused by fungus. It is taken by mouth is used to treat yeast infections in the mouth or stomach.

I had no real problems with Mouth ulcers and mucositis.

He needs to eat to keep up his strength, even when he feels he can’t he must try.

He also needs to try and keep a routine, get up, have a shower, get dressed…… the longer he is in bed the longer his recovery will be.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge