SCT for AML

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed with AML in July and have had 2 rounds of intensive chemo and now I’m having my third round of chemo which is flag ida. After round 1 I was in remission and it all seemed to be going well, however my results for round 2 showed there was still some dodgy cells lying deep in my bone marrow. Which has lead me to now having the flag ida chemo and a transplant in the new year.

This round of chemo has been absolutely horrendous and I am so nervous and worried about the transplant which is coming up in the new year. Any tips or advice of how to cope? 

• Hi AMLat27

Sorry to read about your story.

I can totally relate to your worries and concerns as my wife has gone through a very very similar process as yourself.

Diagnoses with AML in Oct 18, had 3 sessions of chemo followed by the dreaded flag ida. As you say the latter was pretty brutal on you body and mind but something that is essential to get you back into remission prior to transplant.

My wife was in remission following her flag but relapsed 20 month later, she was then given chemo injections and oral tablets for 4 months to keep her in remission prior to transplant in Aug 2020.

It's a long and bumpy road your on but you've come a long way and there are more obstacles to get over but you can do this, my wife is now 17 months post transplant following receiving her sisters cells at 100% match. She has been very lucky with no complications at all, no infections, gvhd or sickness. Obviously not everyone may be so lucky but if you stay positive and strong your halfway there.

You have age on your side for starters, my wife was 64 at the time of transplant and I understand the younger you are the better. 

Hopefully you have loved ones close to be with you through this process and this can be priceless with support and help.

I was with my wife whoever I could be, I even retired early to spend as much time as I could and help her through.

It's important to remember, although I'm sure you know to keep your weight up and keep as fit as possible, eat as much as you can, little and often. 

Please do not be too anxious, it's very hard not to I'm sure, but you can do this, whilst writing this my wife has just said in her opinion the process she went through as you have so far was tougher than the transplant process itself. It is important to remember however the period of time following the transplant to fully back to normal can be a lot longer than the first chemo sessions.

I haven't written much at this point as its getting late but if you would like to ask ANYTHING more about this process PLEASE do not hesitate to reply.

You can, and will do this, you've been through so much already and the next step will hopefully get you back to where you want to be sooner rather than later.

FULHAMBOY (NICK)

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to our little corner of the community.

It’s good to see Nick  being the first to pick up on your post and I do hope you found his reply very helpful.

As Nick has said his wife actually found the chemo used for getting her into the position of having the transplant much more demanding than the SCT itself and I often hear people (on this group and a Lymphoma group) say the exact same.

Many will also say that the SCT process itself was nothing like as demanding as that had been told (and read).

I have had two Allo (donor) SCTs, my first (June 2014) followed a new method (condition) treatment (Specific fir my type of rare Lymphoma) used to kill off my immune system in preparation for getting my brothers Stem Cells.

There was no chemo involved and the 4 weeks stay in the SCT unit passed without any drama. The hope was I would recover quickly and get in with life….. I recovered very quickly but my graft failed within 6 months. This was back in Dec 2014 but I have talked with others who have followed the same method and are living a normal life.

My second Allo SCT was in Oct 2015 and it was seen as a last throw of the dice so the apricot was much more aggressive and yes I had a few problems……. But here I am talking to you over 7 years out and living a great life.

We are making an assumption that you are having an Allo SCT and this PDF gives you an understanding of donor stem cell transplant (allogeneic)

I do know a few folks with AML who have actually had the less demanding Auto SCT using their own clean harvested stem cells and this PDF gives you an understanding of (own cell) stem cell transplant (autologous)

We are here to help you navigate I hate this journey.

You can hit members community names and see their stories (where members have actually done their story)

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge