Called back in ahead of SCT

• 7 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi All - my dad's transplant has been put back to the 7th November due to donor availability.

I took him for his pre-op Bone Marrow biopsy this morning, which went very well. He also had bloods taken.

His CNS has just called and he needs to go back to the hospital at 8.30 in the morning to see his consultant - she didn't give him any more information and we're both understandably concerned it may not be good news. Conversely I did just say to him that maybe the AML has gone and that's what they're calling him in to tell him!

Anyone had anything similar happen ahead of an SCT?

• Hi again , this is just part of the SCT Journey. I had this happen a few times for a number of reasons in the led up to both my Allo SCTs...... further blood tests, some of the tests the day before were corrupted, further documentation to be signed, some more tests that need to be done based on bloods/scans......

The problem I had - I live a 7-8 hrs round trip drive from my SCT Unit !!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks so much Mike. That's put my mind at ease and I'll let dad know too Heart️ We're just 20 mins away from the hospital! 

• P.S - I think it's more the fact that his CNS couldn't give him any details as to why his consultant is calling him back in. Or she wouldn't over the phone. Can't quite shake the panic. Confused

• Both my SCT and Heamatology CNSs are great and are authorised to pass on ALL information (this is in my notes) but often they are the Consultants middle-man and have to do the calling and often are not told why - just do it !!!!....... let's hope is a fuss about nothing

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Yes, fingers crossed it's a formality or the incredible news that he's clear! Thank you x

• Not the news we were hoping for. AML is back and so the SCT has been cancelled. Dad needs to go back in Monday and has again been given literature on Intensive and less intensive chemo to get him back into remission. The consultant has advised the less intensive tablets. 

Not a complete back to square one, but disappointing and exhausting nonetheless. His words though "I'm not worried"! MuscleHeart️

• Sorry to hear your news but unfortunately this can happen. Conditions like AML can show their ugly head rather quickly…… let’s look for the next meds to turn the tide and a way forward to get this back on track ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge