One year post transplant

• 12 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi All

My wife who had a Stem cell transplant last August has been called by her local Hospital team asking g her to come in and have another bone marrow biopsy. This team treated her initially with many chemo regimes over the first 7 months from diagnosis and following relapse in preparation for the Transplant 

Her London Transplant Team are not sure why they want to carry out this biopsy as since transplant, she has had regular blood tests and all come back good, no Gvhd or any other issues. Her transplant consultant says although it's not a problem having this procedure he just can't understand why.

He is going to ask the local hospital why they are asking.

We haven't heard back from him, however today the local Hospitl called today to book my wife in on 8th September.

Considering she has been fine over the last 12 months issue free, my wife and I understandably now feel anxious and obviously put more worry into our minds on the results.

In addition, although my wife has had 16 of these procedures to date the knowledge of the treatment and pain involved exacerbates her anxiety. 

People may say, yes, go for it, at least your know it's all ok, and you can be reassured, but there's always the risks wont be.

We both feel this is unessesary if your bloods remain good and you have no symptoms. We feel the London transplant team feel the same, but we feel they will not intervene and stop this.

Anyone else had similar experience.

FULHAMBOY (Nick)

• Tricky one this…… Its so interesting how different every journey is like.

My brother was a 10/10 100% match including blood type and we went into the process with the plan that if the first Allo did not work we would go again with a second Allo…. and this is what happened.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• The biopsy is also a much more sensitive test for chimerism,which is a good marker for early action as if it is going down they can give you a top of donor cells which can prevent relapse. 
    In my case one of my chimerisms had dropped to 90% in my April biopsy thankfully it has gone up to 92% in my last biopsy and the fact my NPM1 marker is still undetectable they are quite happy and have said no more biopsies! Strangely after over 20 biopsies you would think I would be relieved but I always found the biopsy a bit of a safety blanket.

Hope all the results turn out good Nick x