Dark rash

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello. I am 8 months post allo transplant. I am doing really well re energy levels and general health but do have some gvhd being controlled by creams and mouth washes. However I have a skin rash the Dr's say is not gvhd and can't really explain. It's dark and mottled  looking like lots of dark spots which are predominantly on my torso but also neck and head. It's not itchy or painful or red in any way. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this and if it goes away!

Thank you

• Hi  8 months out - great to hear. 

I have a rather rare skin Non Hodgkins Lymphoma so skin problems have been part of my life for over 23 years.

I had my first Allo SCT in June 2014 with my second Allo SCT in Oct 2015. On and off for the 18 months after my second d Allo I had various episodes of skin GvHD and were all controlled with various steroid creams.

There were some ‘unexplained’ patches that my SCT team did not understand but as I still had access to my Dermatologist I went to see him and he checked them over.

He was not concerned…….. he explained the skin is one of the most reactive organs in the body and when the bodies chemical balance is knocked off balance (basically what SCT does) odd things can happen to the skin and skin pigmentation.

We left it fir a few months and most clears up but there are a few discoloured areas left but again my Derm was not concerned about them……. 5 years on they are still there and have not changed.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Naiad

You could try Piriton over the counter antihistamines, my wife had rashes, not GVHD and was informed by her team to try them. Cleared up in hours.

Good luck

Fulhamboy (Nick)

• Thank you. I will try that.

• Thank you. I guessed it was something like that. At least it's not painful!