SCT

• 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

Hi All,

I am now 2 months post auto SCT and recovering well. The month spent in hospital having the treatment wasn’t pleasant unfortunately due to a bad case of mucositis and two spikes in temperature. I left hospital 10kgs lighter having not being able to eat due to the pain in my throat and total loss of appetite.

On returning home I was very weak but made a conscious effort to keep moving and more importantly get eating, within a week my appetite was back and I have managed to put 6kgs back on so far. I have a lot of aches and pains especially around my lower back which is expected due to six compression fractures in my spine, my legs hurt a lot as well but I put this down to the loss of muscle mass. Also, I suffer from Peripheral Neuropathy which out of everything experienced to date, this is the hardest thing to deal with as my hands and fingers are giving me constant pain despite the medication and I’m unable to use them as normal for the simplest of tasks, doing up buttons, unscrewing jar tops etc.

Anyway, despite everything and thinking I would never feel myself again and lead a normal life, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

All I can say is you just have to keep fighting as hard as it is at times, even when you are at a real low point. The only person that gets you through despite all the support you might get, is yourself, so good luck MuscleThumbsup

• I again  and welcome across to this corner.

Your post SCT story sound very familiar........ navigating the post SCT life can be challenging at times. You may find this link Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide helpful. It does go on rabbit trials but gives you an understanding as to some of the challenges some folks have faced.

You can also hit group members community names to see their stories (if they have done their profile)....... my journey had been rather complicated so my profile is rather long.

You may want to put some info in your profile (see the link at the very bottom of my post) as many people only use the group for information and never post so all information is helpful.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge