Harvest

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi,has anyone experienced aching legs and fatigue on and off for nearly 3 weeks after there harvest.I had a tough time on day 2 of harvest with vomiting and pins and needles all over with muscle cramps too.My doctor has questioned if I want to go through with my SCT on the 8 of August because of this.He seems to think I panicked and made the situation worse but who wouldn't!! 

I've said I want to go through with it but he seems more concerned. Any advise would be great thanks. JOHN

• Hi again John , sorry to hear you have experienced aching legs and fatigue after your harvest.

It was my brother who was my donor and went through the harvest on two occasions as I had two Allo SCTs. At the time he had no medical issues but did suffer various aches, pains and some fatigue following both harvests.

In your case you have cancer and your body is fighting this leading up to SCT so your body would be affected by the harvest process.

As for your consultant, they have to ensure that you are completely happy to go through the process as the SCT process can be even more demanding both physically and mentally…… I will say that over the years I have talked to a few folks who were told by the SCT consultants that they would not allow a patient to go ahead due to the concerns for the person and their ability to go through the process - duty of care kicks in. But it sounds like they are willing to press the green button for you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike,I was beginning to wonder if I'm imagining all off this.I will admit to being an over thinker but I can't change that now.During the harvest my calcium dropped really low and I was kept in on a drip.Obviously I was concerned so for my consultant to say I made it worse is beyond me. I see him on Thursday to finalise everything so fingers crossed.