Covid antiviral treatment

• 8 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all

My wife has tested positive this morning with covid 19.

We've spoken to her team and local Hospital and they are arranging her to have the antiviral intravenous drug for immunosuppressed patients. She's had 2 covid jabs,so far and was due her 3rd on Saturday so I guess that's now got to be delayed.

Anyone here had this antiviral drug and how did it work for you, my understanding is that there can be some nasty side effects, however these must be better than the risks of not having the treatment??

FULHAMBOY (NICK)

• Hi Nick  sorry to hear this new.

I tested covid positive on the 15th March 22 and within 24hrs of testing positive I was having a LONG conference call with my Consultant and an Infectious Diseases Consultant.

The consensus of the discussions was that I would not have the antivirals as the symptoms I was presenting with would be like taking a sledgehammer to a nut…… and there is a ‘gray area’ as to what side effects the antivirals ‘could’ kick off especially with some rare conditions - best leave sleeping-dogs sleep.

We agreed that how I am feeling is a very good sign that the vaccine program and me being so far out from treatment means my immune system is doing its job.

If things change significantly over the next few days I could have called and got the antivirals but I honestly have had worse colds.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike

I see your point.

Although my wife has only had 2 jabs, her recent visit to her team showed blood blood results including neuts and platelets, now off ciclosporin and both white and red cells good heamaglobin a little low but as expected.

My guess is unless you start having breathing problems you don't need it.

HOWEVER, apparently you only have 5 days in which to have treatment following positive test!!!!

Nick

• Yes I was also given the 5 day window. My counts remain slightly on the low side (6 years out) but they were not that concerned about this and I only had 24hrs of flu like symptoms but no need for bed then a lingering cough but at the exact same time I had developed a chest infection so was on antibiotics for that.

I have talked with a good number of folks with Lymphoma (on another platform) who have had the antivirals and a lot say that they could not say if the systems they had were good as the drugs were reducing the covid effects or was actually from the drugs themselves. Some folks had a smooth ride yet others just had a not so go time.

I have a number of drug allergies including penicillin and IMGs so this was another deciding factor to ride it out.

Wishing her well.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Update.

Just had a call from "THE NHS" no name given.

Told my wife is not qualify for the antiviral drug. Only reason given not on steroids or gad chemo in kast six months. Very odd when her transplant team say she is as she's had the transplant within 2 years. I'm very confused and hesitant to call her team,as to not make waves if in fact its correct. 

Even the email from the NHS following her positive test says she meets the criteria.

I  don't know what to do.....she aches all over very sore throat, intermittent cough but no temperature.

My guess know is see how the next 2 days go and if it gets worse make a LOT OF NOISE.

Nick

• Personally I would call her SCT team as they know her better than someone looking at a screen with basic criteria to tick off.

I am over 6 years out from SCT but have other ongoing health issues so there was availability but being 2 years out from SCT…… I would be thinking that I should be getting them.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• hi,

I contracted covid 14 days ago. I havehad 3 vaccinations and 1 booster. Fatigue, headache, head cold were my symotoms. I was admitted to hospital for a 3 day infusion of the anti virual drug Remdesivir. this was on 14th, 15th and 16th April.  I didn't experience any side affects from the drug. A course of steroids and anti sickness tablets go along with the treatment. I am still antigen positive 14 days after my first positive test. I'm feeling OK so am thankful for this.

• Hi josh2017

My wife got her anti viral drug following catching covid from myself 2 weeks ago. NHS informed her she was not entitled to it. I called her transplant team who immediately prescribed her the drug, got it delivered to our door. Amazingly her symptoms cleared up in 2 days.

• Good news Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge