Husband had BMT

• 11 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi, I’m new to this.  My husband was diagnosed earlier this year with AML with chemo he did get into remission but BMT was the best option for prolonged remission so he underwent this in Sept with a 10/10 unrelated donor   I’m his carer and struggle with the enormity of everything, I dread every blood test he does (2 per week), can’t see how we will ever have some “normality” back in our lives.  Absolutely no one I know has had a transplant so I’ve no one to talk to,  People I thought were friends and would “be there” haven’t come thru unfortunately, I know no one wants the cancer baggage.

I suppose I’m looking for reassurances (I know no one can give me them) but I’m struggling.  Can’t face Xmas, struggling with the whole “isolating” not seeing anyone/going anywhere.  Just wish this nightmare would end. 

• Hi again and well done navigating across to this corner of the community.

As I said I have had two Allo (donor) SCTs June 2014 then Oct 2015 and remission eventually achieved in Sep 2016 so understand this journey rather well.

He is only is only 2-3 months out from his SCT so this is very early days in the process so regular bloods, clinic appointments, reviews are normal but this will start to stretch out once he hits about day +100 when they will reduce his immunosuppressants and let his new immune system find their legs.

My SCT unit was in Glasgow and we live in Inverness so we were doing a weekly 9hr round trip to Glasgow for the first few months - during winter for my second Allo SCT

My head SCT Consultant told me that going through a SCT was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day I was in hospital and this was done without any training

She also gave me a basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food. 

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities. 

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

We have this old thread Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide where we collected some post SCT experiences.

Normality will return...... but he is a baby at the moment so it takes time to get things going. 

You will see from my profile (hit my community name) that if SCT did not work I would not be talking with you now....... these months post SCT are hard but it is part of the process to get life back.

How able is he?....... when I say that, I left my SCT unit in a wheelchair as I lost the use of my legs so hard to learn to walk again through weekly physiotherapy appointments, a lot of pain and determination. But as soon as I was on my feet we were out walking, even in the winter.

The post SCT isolation (even without covid) can be challenging but it is all about looking at the greater good in all this and just remember that this period of time is temporary and will pass.

The group is here to help and support you through this period.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi SMc23

You are not alone.

My wife was diagnosed with AML in Oct 18, underwent 4 treatments of Chemo over 7 months, went into remission and sadly relapsed at Christmas 2020.

She had her SCT in Aug this year from a 10/10 sister doner. She's doing great she was discharged after 17 days and now goes for blood tests and consultation e ery 2 weeks. Taking ciclosporin to keep her white cells from growing to fast and to slow her immune system down a bit.

I expect you husband may well be having similar.

It's a long long road to recover from but a road that does have a light at the end. 

I get you comment re friends and lack of support. It seems to be very common, many people just don't know what to say or do. What matters are those closest to him YOU and your immediate family are the best to help him through.

This pandemic really does hamper our movements and mental health, with the added stress of this makes it 100 times worse, I get that, but you must stay strong and believe this will all come good in the end. 

How is your husband doing now, has he had any issues since the transplant. Hope he's eating OK, weight loss is very common. Also hope he can get plenty ty of sleep. Fatigue is also a factor but if he can keep as busy as he is able around the house or you can go outside for short walks this will help get his strength back.

If you wish to ask ANYTHING else, please do, I will give as much help as I am able.

Stay safe and look after him.

Regards

FULHAMBOY (Nick)

• Thank you so much for the reply, it helps to know someone has gone thru this and come out the other side.  My husband is doing really well, he’s day +67 and able to move around but the fatigue hits and that gets him down.  He also had his transplant in Glasgow at the QEUH the consultants are brilliant.

• Thanks for the reply, it does help to know someone actually understands what I’m going thru as a “carer”,  you are right re the ciclosporan and a cocktail of other drugs (I believe they will be reducing them over the next couple of weeks) he is day +67 and doing ok, can move around but gets very fatigued which gets him down, he is eating but the nausea can put him off a bit. 

• SMc23

Really please to hear your husband is doing well. Fatigue will get better, my wife is on day +124 and pretty much back to normal in regards to fitness.

She does get a little tiered and has a short nap some afternoons however, she does get a bit down at times when she thinks about what she has gone through but soon realises that the options were restrictive and is so grateful for all the medical help she has received from her team.

Your husband can and will do this, just keep believing.

Hoping things continue in the right direction for you.

Regards

• Good morning. I was in The Beatson for both my SCTs just before the unit moved across to the QEUH so I know the staff very well. Dr P although to the point is on the ball so he is in good hands.

Getting your head round the fact that his body was put through so much helps you understand why the road to recover can be very bumpy.

My wife Fiona had a room connected to the SCT Unit so she was there all the way through the 4 weeks for the first Allo then 3 weeks in the Pond Hotel when I was having my radiotherapy then the 4 weeks in the SCT unit for my second Allo.

I will always say that those looking on have a harder time in some respects. The person in the bed just has to go with the flow and let it all happen.

As you will see the post SCT recovery can be so different with Nick’s wife doing very well but others have a hard time. I did not have any GvHD following my first Allo but did with my second. It was not that bad and was managed very well by the team.

Its all about holding your nerve and seeing this as a process that will pave the way for a new future ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi SMc23

I had my transplant in May 2019 for relapsed aml aged 62. It’s a horrible lonely time, I had only met one person going through the same,l had read lots of stories ( probably too many ) on here and other sites but nothing prepares you for the long slog.

I would say the first 6 months are the hardest especially the first 100 days before your drugs are gradually reduced. Cyclosporine was definitely the worst. And of course the twice weekly trips to day clinic and long hours on a drip of some sort.I would be asleep instantly we got in the car after these for the long drive home. It wasn’t all bad though as my wife and I managed to go walking some days and I even bought a bike and did short cycle rides.I had one hospital admission at about 5 months for tummy gvhd but only a week. My bloods did fluctuate a lot but at about 9 months they seemed to settle down and I started to feel a little normal again. Try and take each day at a time and things will eventually get easier, feel free to message me privately is you wish xx

• Mike

Your last paragraph is so true.

Nick

• Hi there

Your post really resonated with me. My husband had his SCT 7 years ago now but your post took me right back there. I suffered enormously with anxiety and felt completely on my own. As my husband got better I got worse to the point of not being able to leave the house without being physically sick. I had a lot of family issues as our daughter in law felt they would catch something from the chemotherapy and has stopped any contact with our son since then. I had no one to share the burden with and to this day I can get myself in a right old panic. The pandemic has not helped at all. 

If you feel you want someone to share with you are welcome to PM me.

fanilow

• Hi, thank you for taking the time to respond, it really does make such a difference to know other people understand this, not that I would wish it on anyone!  Glad you are doing well and hope you continue to do so.  Take care x