GVHD flare up ?

• 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi everyone.

I am nearly two and a half years post transplant for AML. I have been doing really well virtually back to normal again. However recently I have been having increased bowel movements currently going about 4 times a day and annoyingly waking up in the night to go.It’s very similar to my gut gvhd that plagued me for about 8 months but went away in April last year. Can gvhd flare up from time to time ? 
Mark

• Hi Mark , sorry to hear you are dealing with bowel problems. The simple answer is GvHD can flare up further down the line but the challenge is telling the difference.

It is very easy to associate things like this where we experienced the same post treatment especially GvHD issues to be GvHD. The only way forward is to get checked out.

A month ago I developed a pain just above my pelvis and was having bowel movements day and night often every few hours…… had this post second Allo.

I am discharged from my SCT tram so ai have to go through my GP.

Went to the see, yes see my GP (as they understand the urgency that folks post SCT need to be seen) and she checked me out, blood tests, stool test, obbs….

Turned out my infection markers were up and had most likely a bowel infection but GP felt I did not need antibiotics but would do a further blood test in a few days. This showed the markers going down but it did take a few weeks for the bowel movements to level off so did not need the antibiotics, just told myself off fir not drinking enough and looked at increasing my fibre intake.

She thought it was Diverticular disease but all is well now.

Do talk with your GP or your hospital team.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike,

Thankfully it seems to have settled down in the last few day but I will mention it to my team when I have my consultation next month.

Mark

• Good to hear this Mark, navigating the post SCT years is full if bumps that have to be dealt with. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge