5 Months Post SCT

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Evening,

My husband is now 5 months post stem cell transplant, and is still weak and tired. He collapsed about  6 weeks ago now and ever since been suffering with aches and shooting pains up and down his right leg. He says it feels like a really bad dead leg then gets pins and needles and his foot feels like it's on fire. He's told his consultants but they've just said nothing can be done. The pain got so bad one Saturday that I had to take him to A&E where they done xrays and thought possible blood clot. He then had a scan which they said no it's not a blood clot. But no-one can say what it is or how we treat it.

He thinks it could be linked to where they take the bone marrow samples. But reading some threads on here others have had aches and pains after transplant? 

Is this common after transplant? 

• Hi and sorry to hear about the challenges he is having.

As you know each SCT journey is different but I can relate to your husbands problems. Following my second Allo SCT I was so ill I left the SCT unit in a wheelchair. It took a good four months to get back on my feet but the pain in my legs was very very bad. It was all checked out and it was all put down to massive muscle wastage due to inactivity.

So my physiotherapist gave me exercises to do each day and I also attended a cancer specific circuits class at my local Maggie’s Centre…… two years on I was able to remove all the main pain meds from my repeat prescription.

I am now 4 years on from these challenges and doing great.

It can’t be overestimated what the body goes through during SCT…… and the journey to recovery can be as hard, if not harder than the SCT process itself ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for replying, I'll look into seeing if he can see a physiotherapist. And if there are any groups in our area. 

• Evening, 

Update on my husband - unfortunately he collapsed again last Tues (a week today) his mobility has seriously deteriorated over the last 2 weeks and the pain in his leg was unbearable. I knew something wasn't right and it wasn't Sciatica (Addenbrooks thought it was that) so after an MRI scan last tues, lumber puncture and bone marrow test on the weds, we got told on Thurs that even though he's still in remission at the moment in his bone marrow, he has got AML in his Central Nervous System - spinal cord and brain! And he got admitted into hospital straight away to start chemotherapy injected directly into his spine. They don't know what his prognosis is yet.

I believe it's rare that it spreads from the bone marrow to the central nervous system, I don't know if there's anyone in this group that's been in a similar situation?

But I'm so pleased that I was persistent and kept saying somethings not right, although it took for him to collapse again to get the extra tests that he clearly needed! 

• So sorry to hear this turn of events. CNS is a presentation that can for time to time present in Non Hodgkin’s Lymphomas and there are good treatments available with good results…… so let’s look for his team to find a way forward for his presentation.

For some, the battle rages in the bone marrow for a long time post SCT and it took over 23 months for my bone marrow to clear up so let’s hope there is ways of dealing with this and as I will always say there is always hope until hope runs out ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge