Husband SCT +35

• 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi All,

This is mainly a thank you for the support you all never knew you were giving me over the last year. Thought it was time join.

Our story

Aug 2020 early morning dropped my husband at A&E, not allowed in with him due to COVID.  He had been poorly for a few weeks and GP said most probably viral. Diagnosed with AML FLT3+, He didn’t return home until 11 weeks later. Induction therapy stopped as rare fungal infection and sepsis with a 10 day stay in HDU, thankfully I was allowed to see him a couple of times at that point. At this time I spent night after night on the McMillan Forums, can’t tell you what I was looking for but it helped. Fast forward 3 consolidation rounds a few visits to the cardio-oncologist due to a heart issue and it was agreed the best course of action was a SCT . Luckily his brother was a perfect match and his transplant went ahead without incident 36 days ago, they even allowed me an hour a week visit with a clear PCR test, rate treat.. Last week he came home only to go back in 5 days later with an infection in his Hickman and EBV. Again I wait for the day I can go collect him. 

Anyway if you are still with me, apologies for the long intro, just wanted to say thank you for getting me through!

x

• Hi  and although you probably ‘know’ us all by now - welcome.

Some rollercoaster you and your husband have been on but the amazing advances in blood cancer treatments over these many years provides us with the gift of ‘that next treatment’ that turns the tide.

I am always aware that, like yourself, there are many folks ‘looking in’ so thank you for coming on, putting up your post and encouraging us all with this update. It makes  persevering on the community so rewarding….. as it could be so easy to just get on with life and leave the memories of our treatments behind.

Unfortunately post SCT infections come with the territory but as his new baby immune system grows it will start to deal with these more effectively but this part takes time and some patients.

You may have already seen our ongoing threads Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide where we have tried to collect our post treatment experiences.

As always, we are around to support as best as we can and if it’s only an opportunity for you to vent - then that is ok as well  ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, sounds like you’ve had quite a journey, keep up the positivity Blush

I had a bug in my Hickman line shortly after I was discharged but thankfully I managed to avoid being readmitted by going every day for IV antibiotics. 

Fingers crossed your husband isn’t in too long and things go smoothly from here on.