SCT UPDATE

• 51 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hello all

For all you wonderful people who have followed my threads over almost 3 years and given invaluable advice, I just want to let you know my wife was re born yesturday with her Sisters cells. Now day +1 and doing well. Started today on ciclosporin to suppress her immune system. We are well aware of the long long road ahead but following her conditioning and transplant, she is feeling OK with nausea and  diahorhea her only issues.

She was given an anti sickness injection day before transplant and had severe hives immediately, unbelievably after one Piriton tablet they completely disappeared within 1 hour, very odd.

Expecting her levels to drop rapidly in next 2 days so will be aware of things that may/are likely to occur.

We are currently staying in the hotel for Ambulatory care patients just round the corner from the macmillan Cancer Centre at UCLH. we are however expecting my wife to be transferred into the main Hospital unit within the next 2/3 days as infection risks increase. That's when I will have to leave her and head home. TBH I will feel much more comfortable in the knowledge she is in the main unit with help at hand immediately should she need it and,she feels the same.

So far, so good, praying all continues well.

Fulhamboy (Nick)

• It shows how different teams are but yes they know each case best.

I was eventually sent home on day T+20 with my counts still below 1 so I was basically still nuetropenic but was given boxes of G-CFS to self inject every day and it took about 4 months for my counts to stay above 1…… and I was on Cyclosporin all the way through this.

Their logic was “you are safe at home then in the unit as there were a few bugs found their way into the unit”

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I guess they all have slightly different regimes, or with respect Mike, maybe they have found a variation in treatments over the years that seem to work. 

Just an interesting fact I found out today, my wife's one to one consultant was one of the team that treated the Russian guy Litvonenko who was poisoned in London many years ago with that polonium attack via the "umbrella"

Obviously the outcome wasn't good, but I don't think anyone would survive that but at least I believe that she must be a well respected clinician to be involved with that type of situation.

Quite incredible.

• Yes there will have been lots of changes over the years just as they moved away from Bone Marrow Collection with all the challenges this used to present to the much simpler Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Collection.

Incredible about the Consultant 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi again all.

Just spoken to my wife this morning, Doctors just seen her with the news that her neuts are up from zero yesturday to 0.6 this morning. He stated that they are very pleased with this and that her large bone pain and diahorhea will soon ease and she should start to feel better each day. Still no major spikes and no infections have been identified.

It does surprise me a little as this seems quite quickly that her numbers are rising so soon. The doctor has said that if things continue in this way she could be home in about 1 week. She is only on day + 11.

This is great news naturally but we're also aware that this is just the start of the marathon of recovery.

• Hi Nick, this sounds great and her BM is recovering quickly, nothing to fret about but something to celebrate, let’s look for her to keep infection free and escape.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Update Monday 16th Aug

Well, it seems quite incredible, my wife's nuets have gone over the past 3 days as, 0.6, 0.79 and today 1.62.

The team are incredibly pleased with her progress, even stated that they are amazed in the fact that she has had no spikes which to them is pretty unprecedented. Only day 12 and thinking about coming home on Friday.

Still taking ciclosporin but going to try oral tablets to see how she gets on with those before making the discharge decition. Still has large bone aches and the diahorhea is easing. 

Finges crossed, this continues on the same path going forward.

• Sounds great and very encouraging. I was having trouble eating during the last few weeks in the unit and Cyclosporin is best taken with food so I stayed on IV much longer than they wanted…… I just was being sick every time I tried to have the capsules….. they are rank Nauseated face

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Nick just come across your update which is very positive and just wanted to add that like chemo some people do sail through SCT's with little side effects so fingers crossed this will be your wife's experience and you can both enjoy that bubbly at an appropriate time.

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • Hi Nick, I’ve just caught up on your updates. I’m really pleased to hear that your wife is doing so well and hope she gets home soon. 

I’m now day +52 and things are going well, I’m getting more energy back and feeling a lot better. Still a long way to go but definitely making progress. 

• Hi Louise A

Really pleased to hear your getting g on so well.

Today my wife's nuets have risen again to 2.6 which is great news.  also confirmed her doner cells seem to be grafting well wither own. 

She's coming off the ciclosporin via intro and trying the tablets tomorrow.

She's also been told she will be given an inhaler I think, something to do with preventing chest infections.

Quite amazing really as she's only on day +13 and their thinking about discharge on Thurs or Fri. Just can't wait to get her home and keep her safe 

Keep well LouiseA Android forward to more positive news going forward.

Nick