Vaccinations

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello,

I am 1 year 8 months post bone marrow transplant for relapsed AML. It's been a really long road to recovery as I have had so many complications. I didn't have a full match so have had to deal with GVHD along with CMV (passed on from the donor) and EBV. After months of treatment there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am now off the steroids, finally of immune suppressants, and I have one last ECP treatment to go. 

Now that the GVHD is largely under control I have been advised to have the Covid vaccine along with all the other vaccinations. I feel incredibly nervous as I have only just got to the point where I am starting to feel stronger. I really can't bear the thought of being knocked back.

Can anyone share any experience or advice that might help? Positive stories would be a big help at this stage. Also advice about which Covid vaccination might be better for me.

Thanks in advance,

Dave x

• Hi Dave  well done in navigating these past years.

I am now 5 years 9 months out from my second Allo SCT so totally get the journey you have been on and even with a 10/10 match with my brother I still have various problems including GvHD.

From my point of view any protection is important where ever it comes from. I still have a fragile immune system so it needs all the help it can get.

I started having all my re-vaccines at about 18 months post my second Allo and had my two Covid jabs back in February then April and honestly I had no problems with any of them apart from the normal sore arms and being a day under the weather.

Having then is far better then not having the protection and dealing with other challenges by to not taking the vaccines

I always work of the principles that my clinical team know better.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Dave

My wife was told only this last week that following her SCT next week it will be about 18 months until she will have her childhood vaccinations.

My understanding re covid jabs following transplant is just as Mike says, it's better to have them than not, it's all about balancing the risks. If I'm correct, my wife can have her covid jabs (again) in about 6 months after transplant.

Good luck

Fulhamboy (Nick)