12 months / Shingles

• 1 reply
  • 10 subscribers

Hello All,

I had my auto SCT in June 2020 so am now one year on and in so far as I know remain in remission. I have had some wobbles along the way and questioned that status many times, especially in the run up to the one year mark.  I know they say that 3 years (or is it 5) is the key period but should I take some positives out of 12 months?  I obviously appreciate that it is good but is 12 months a 'good sign'?

Setting that aside, went down with shingles on the face and in the ear two weeks ago.  I now see that it is not uncommon for people post SCT and it followed a period of anxiety so guess my immune system was a bit low.  Just wanted to say - was and still is dam painful!

Mike

• Hi Mike, a year of on is a good milestone…I remember that 1st birthday feeling well.

I was told to expect my immune system to be fragile for a number of years and even now, being 5 years 9 months out from my second Allo SCT it still is.

Apart from Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia x2, Sepsis x2, A Fib and three months of low blood counts so regular blood transfusions every week and GvHD of the skin….. I have done ok Joy

I was given a good warning about Shingles so do have a small stock of Aciclovir to take at the very first sign of this appearing.

Now to look toward your second birthday Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge