Stem cell -bone marrow transplant

• 6 replies
  • 11 subscribers

My partner aged 47  has had 4 lots of  different chemo   without success,    he has an appointment in Newcastle  with the transplant team to see if he is suitable .

Has anyone got any  tips advice of questions to ask etc. He will need adonor as he  has no family .

Hehas refractory anaplastic large t cell .

With extra tumors popping up 

And advice appreciated 

Victoria 

• Hi again Victoria , this is all very overwhelming.

This initial meetings will be very detailed and will cover everything involved so the main thing is to be able to take notes and try to understand what the first few steps are.

The SCT team will be looking to see if your partner is fit and able to go through the very demanding process so other underlying health conditions are looked at very closely.

If they are happy to ‘go for it’ they will start the process of looking for a donor world wide.

They may well suggest some very strong salvage treatment (there are a number depending on cancer type and how it’s presenting) as they need to get him into a position to go into SCT, so do ask more about this if it’s mentioned. 

It’s worth saying that I could not be put into remission so did go through both my Allo (donor) SCTs with active cancer.

Try and get timescales.

Get contact names and numbers/email numbers.

This link will help you understand donor stem cell transplant (allogeneic) - you can see the PDF here

There are lots of steps in this process so taking each step at a time is important.

When you think of any other thoughts do come back with them ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you 

He is currently on salvage chemo  it's his last   offer ofa chance . Hopefully he will be in better condition to be offered his  bone marrow transplant .fingers crossed . He's hada tough year and no other treatment has worked and his disease is very progressive. 

I  thank you for your input 

Victoria 

• Hi Victoria, it’s a scary time but let’s look for this to move in a positive direction.

This conversation brings back memories from the Summer of 2015 when we were looking at my final roll of the dice as my first Allo (donor) SCT did not work. I actually was sent down to The Freeman in Newcastle not to see the SCT team but to have a consultation with a skin consultant as we were looking for the best way to get me into the best position to help my second SCT to work.

What is the name of the salvage treatment he is having?

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello he is  doing decc salvage treatment , this will be his 4th and last  offer of chemo , they're hoping it will enable him to   have a donor fingers crossed .  His cancer spreads quicker than they can treat it unfortunately .he hasbeen thru the mill , and this he has been told is his last   offer of any treatment . 

I haveto say no his consultant from day one has pulled out all stops and has been simply amazing .

Unfortunately  hehasonly treated two others like my partner , so itsa tough hill to climb .

So grateful for your input 

Victoria

• Hi, my husband has AML and we met the transplant team in Cardiff a few weeks back. I took a notebook and pen and although I didn't have specific questions a lot of the information they gave us threw up questions for me to ask. My husband's siblings are in Australia and have done their 'test' we are awaiting results, but the Doctor did say they do have a potential 100 other matches. The transplant team would have been doing background stuff so you will probably get lots more info when you go. My husband has to have other tests before transplant to check heart, lungs etc as he does have other health issues but we were told that the body has to be ready to receive a transplant. Good Luck

Shelley

• Thank you 

My partner is adopted so no chance of having a direct donor,  we meet the transplant team tomorrow , so hopefully it will take is to a new promising level  of getting better

Thanks for your input , I will update you all