Having a stem cell transplant Addenbrookes soon

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi I am due to have a stem cell transplant at Addenbrookes. In approx 6 wks. Any info would be really helpful. I have acute lymphoblastic leukhemia, diagnosed in April. 
anyone know about visiting? How long they keep you in?

thanks xx

• Well done getting your post up.

What type of Stem Cell Transplant are you having….. an Auto SCT using your own cells or an Allo (donor) SCT as the time in hospital will depend on the type of SCT.

I had two Allo SCTs (hit my name for my story) and was in the unit for 28 then 29 days.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike, I am having a donor and last I heard they had 3 potential matches. I am looking forward to getting to the other side of this Grinning

• Ok so you will see I had two Allo’s.

You may find the latest version of our understanding a donor stem cell transplant (allogeneic) - you can see the PDF here

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

I see that Mike has directed you to the Stem cell transplant forum where I am sure you will be given lots of useful information. I had an Allo transplant at Barts for ALL back in 2013. I was in for 16 days after the transplant with a week of conditioning before hand. At the time I was allowed visitors but of course with Covid lots of things have changed. You can see my journey by clicking on my profile HERE

Any questions feel free to ask and good luck.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

Thank you, will have a look Slight smile

• Paul

You are correct, the covid situation has changed most visiting times.

My wife goes into uclh next month, I can stay with her in the "hotel" ambulatory care unit whilst having her conditioning but once in the main unit following transplant it only 2 visits, twice a week for only 2 hours.

Also need a PCR test before each visit, going to be tough.

Fulham Boy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

That was really interesting to read and the video was very helpful, thank you!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Fulhamboy

OhRelievedthat does sound tough. What is the ambulatory care unit? I haven’t heard of this?