What can I expect re work post stem cell transplant? (Autologous)

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 9 subscribers

So I’m three months into treatment for aggressive primary mediastinal B cell lymphoma. Unfortunately my DA Epoch treatment isn’t holding it at bay and they have switched me at round five to R-ICE salvage therapy and are lining me up for an autologous sct in I think July. 

I co-run a company and have been managing to work about a day a week (remotely, lots of short online meetings spread across the week) and stay involved during my treatment so far. I had planned to come back in to doing projects after my chemo finished but now my prognosis is different I clearly need to rethink things. 

from what I understand it can take 3-6 months or longer to recover from a SCT and so I guess I need to be realistic about the work I will be able to do over that time frame, and assume that none of it will be possible in person? 

This is going to have a massive negative effect on my finances as 1/3 of my income comes from freelance projects which I’ve been unable to do since February and now will have to write off for the foreseeable. The other 2/3 of my income is PAYE which I’m currently flexi-furloughed for but if my company can bear the brunt will I think move me on to long term sick pay. 

I know the priority is my health and getting better but I am only 41 and gutted about the impact this will have on both my career and my ability to parent my children (4 and 7) if I’m going to be effectively wiped out til at least the autumn. 

• Hi again  and welcome to our little corner of the community.

I had R-EPOCH - not DA (Dose Adjusted) and on the whole it did a good job but it did not get me into remission (this was expected) but got me into a place for going into my first Allo (donor) SCT..... it’s a long story so hit me Community name.

The post SCT recovery is a bit of a lottery. I was retired from my job as a College Lecturer 3 years before I started the lead up to my SCT rollercoaster being 58 yours old for my first and 59 for my second.

I can honestly say that if I had still been teaching, taking away the post SCT infection l risks and the reason I retired (stress) I could have walked straight back into the teaching environment. My team said the conditioning that was being used (the treatment that kills your immune system and bone marrows ability to produce cells) had no chemo and if it worked I would have little or no problems. They were spot on but within 6 months the graft had failed.

So I was given time off for some R&R and they threw the kitchen sink at for me second Allo and as you will see in my story it was a very long and difficult recovery.

But I am over 5 1/2 years out from my second SCT and remission was achieved back in Sep 2016 for the first time in over 17 years. For me this is amazing as I was told back in 1999 I would never see good remission..... and I still will never hear cure.

It is easy for me to agree with your statement.....

I know the priority is my health and getting better but

........ the ‘but’ is so important but a big challenge.

The good side to this if there are good sides is that an Auto SCT tends to have a much quicker recovery and you won’t have to deal with your body trying to kill your Stem Cells as they will see them as family, unlike in an Allo where the donor cells are not welcome and the immune system dies it’s best to kill them all off. So the first 100ish days post an Allo we are put on a drug that controlled our immune system so it does not attack the new cells giving them a chance to grow.

Consultants will always err on the worst case scenario so you have to prepaid fir the worst but look for the best.

This thread is a good place to get some collected thoughts on post SCT info Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

And this is Macmillan latest Understanding stem cell transplants using your own cells (autologous) - PDF here.

Happy to talk more at any time.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Qoudlibet.

I'm in a similar situation. Have stge 3 T-cell lymphoma.

Run my own company, became ill in autumn, last worked on the 5th November 2020.

Two kids aged 9 & 14, aged 51. Without wife's income (£1600 p/m) and our savings life would be very diffcult but savings are dwindling.

Have had 6 bouts of chemo but its worked very well. However prognosis for T-Cell lymp. not good at all so was told at initial diagnosis on 2nd Dec. that would need SCT, which I'm going through right now in the hospital! On day 4 of conditioning chemo. Its AUTO method.

Have been told by consultant tht at lest 4-6 to feel anything like normal post SCT - I've given myself to Nov. - 1 year after it all started but we'll see. Through Macmillan buddies, been speaking to a chap who had the treatment 2 years ago at the age of 28 and he said he took a year to recover but with hindsight should have gone back to work 6 months later for mental welfare.

I know Im not giving you info. you don't know but just to share that I fully understand your predicament and share your concerns - you're not alone.

Good luck.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your message and support. I hope you are recovering ok from your SCT. You must be right in the chemo nadir now I guess. Sending you strength.