Shingles

• 8 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with shingles last Friday. Although the rash is now fading I am still feeling very weak ,no energy etc. 
I am two years post transplant and up to last Friday was feeling great.What are others experiences with shingles?
Mark

• Hi Mark, sorry to hear this.

I have never had Shingles and actually have a stock of Aciclovir to take the first moment I get any symptoms.

My team did say the me developing Shingles could be a post SCT nightmare

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mark,

Sorry for late reply, hope things have cleared up now? I had shingles a similar time to you post transplant. I remember the nerve pain down the legs as the worst thing and struggled to sleep for a few days. I can’t remember exactly how long it went on for but I would guess it was a week or so, and I’ve not had any long-term issues post the infection. I hope you will experience the same.

Greg

• Morning Mark, funny you should say this I had shingles last month, 6.5 years post transplant. It seems to be the thing to get during lockdown. I think people are more worried about the COVID virus and worry can suppress the immune system. Luckily I had some anti viral tablets from my just in case bag and then went to the doctors and got some stronger ones and some pain killers. Some 5 weeks on I still can see where the rash was. It can be awful in terms of mental health and physical health. I do hope you feel better soon.

• Sadly shingles does sometimes occur post SCT, normally your team prescribes a hefty dose of Aciclovir, but the shingles pain can be debilitating I know. Hopefully you will improve soon….

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Mark - me too!  But my consultant had briefed me on it being a possibility and to get on to high dose aciclovir asap.  It did take a while to lessen, and I still have lots of itching sometimes some 9 months later. I think having 'a version' of a normal immune system probably means we're still alive and kicking, but things take a bit longer to run their course.

• Hi , I see that this is your furst post so a warm welcome.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you! I have followed all this for a while and have appreciated it so much for all sorts of reasons.

• I am over 5 years out from my second Allo SCT and doing great….. some semblance of life does return but some of the old life goes but I must say I don’t miss some of the things that have fallen by the wayside 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge