SCT IMMENENT

• 8 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all

You may remember me from previous posts re my wife's story with AML.

she has had 4 rounds of chemo including Flag ida, went into remission following in May 2019, sadly came back in Dec 2020. Been having daily chemo tablets at home Venetaclax along with 7 day injections every 2.5 weeks since January.

All gone OK with a few minor episodes of feeling unwell, but no need for hospitalisation so lucky there. She's had 4 courses of this treatment now and following her last biopsy is now showing  no evidence of discease, however her last blood test showed neuts are only 0.1 and white cells incredibly low so no further going out and no visitors. Hopefully this last week they have recovered OK. Think the venetoclax worked too well!!!

Just today had a call from UCLH London to attend a consultation with the same team that we saw back in early 2019 this Friday 21st May. Its been a while due to covid and tbh the thought about this transplant had started to slip into the background......a little!!!

Now it seems the actual process is about to start, we're both very nervous and anxious naturally. My wife is very frightened as am I but we know this is something she has to have done. I guess there will be a lot of talking on Friday followed by many tests before the decition to go ahead will be made. My wife is almost 67 and her sister is a good match although she is 70 years of age. I guess they will do further tests on her to make sure her doner cells are still good. If not I guess they will find a doner elsewhere, the local consultant says my wife should not have difficulty find another match if required.

Really worrying times, I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Many of you were so so helpful  when my wife's condition was first diagnosed and helped me through the bad times, for which I am truly grateful. It seems I will be needing that strength and support in the coming weeks/months and look forward to chatting once again.

Take care all.

Nick (Fulhamboy)

• Hi again Nick ..... you have transported me back 7 years just about now when I was in the middle of all the tests and preparations for my first Allo SCT.

I have talked with a number who were in their mid 60s go through an Allo and come out the other side and living well.

I also know a few folks who’s donors were in their mid to late 60s and in fact my brother was 67 then 68 when he went through harvest for me.

You may find Macmillan’s latest version of understanding donor stem cell transplant (allogeneic) PDF here

You are embarking on a true rollercoaster so hold on tight, understand the process and try and not focus on the Allo SCT Challenges as there most like will be some.

My journey (see my profile) had lots of twists and turns but I am now over 5 1/2 years out from my second Allo and been in remission for over 4 years and doing great.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike

Good to hear from you once again, your story is quite remarkable and I take my hat of to you and all those who have gone through similar circumstances. I know this is a long and twisty road and with many obstacles to push through, I just hope and pray my wife will get through this, she is very scared but incredibly strong with so much to live for, which WILL see her through. She has been so brave and courageous throughout her treatments and with the scary times with Sepsis, lung infections and incredible weakness and sickness. We both know this may be even more challenging, but we will get through this whatever it takes.

Nick

• Hi Nick

Great to hear your wife is back in remission that’s one of the most important factors going into transplant. I don’t think age is such a factor nowadays and a close relative is always something the transplant team always seem to want first before looking elsewhere,though I am pretty sure they will have already lined up another donor just in case.Hope the consultation goes well tomorrow and you both come out reassured xx

• Thanks Mark

Good to hear from you.Not really looking forward to trip to London but it needs to be done!!!

Will update when we know more

• So frustrating, blood test today shows neuts at only 0.1 same as last Friday. Now consultation for tomorrow cancelled.

• Sorry to hear this, a true rollercoaster.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Certainly is Mike.

Now having to self inject to boost white cells over a few days, then start 4th course of stomach injection as outpatient and daily oral chemo.

It's a fine balance to get level correct and also keeping the leukaemia cells from blasting. Currently in remission again hence the consultation booking, but now trying to boosts the white cells risks the leukaemia returning, I think that's not too bad I guess as long as it stays very low.

• Keeping everything Fingers crossedFingers crossedFingers crossed

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge