My sister‘s SCT

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi,

My sister has been battling AML since early last October. She is being treated in Paris. At the end of January I travelled there to donate my stem cells, as I am a half match. On the 26th Jan she received the transplant. The doctors are apparently happy with her progress, so much so that they said if that progress continues she could go home. 
However unfortunately this past week, she has been feeling very poorly. She can’t eat and she is in a lot of pain. She said every move is an effort. 

Are these fairly common side effects? 

Nellz

• Hi again , first this is positive progress but sorry that she is feeling poorly...... yes this can be very common. The post SCT recovery can be long and hard.

Hit my name for my story and you may find our ongoing threads Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide where we have tried to collect out post treatment experiences.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi ,

sadly the early stages after ‘day 0’ or when your sister got your cells is a bit of a roller coaster but the lows are rather bigger than the highs! Waiting for engraftment (when the cells have decided what they are going to do and begun to get on with the jobs they settle in to do) can be tough, your sister will be feeling rough but her team will be looking after her well and making sure that she is coping. Any possible problem will be dealt with swiftly. 
    I hope engraftment happens soon, she will begin to feel much better though weak, after that. 
    hugs xxx

Moomy

• Transplant is a life-changer, a game-changer. It may appear as a simple transfusion, but in essence, her marrow was annihilated and replaced with your stem cells - primitive cells which must first engraft, finding their new home in her marrow. Even when fully engrafted, those cells are like babies trying to do an adult job. Energy levels will be extremely low. I mostly curled up in the bed, ate a bit, showered and repeated on a daily basis. Yet the time will come when her marrow begins to produce a healthier level of  blood cells. She will most certainly have some Graft-versus-Host-Disease, which is essentially unavoidable. The half of your match will do quite well, but the half of your tissue types that do not match hers will lead to some level of GvHD. Yet, that is controllable. It does get better. Honestly.  

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to po18guy

Devastatingly we found out today that the leukemic blast are 36%!! It seems like the cancer cells never went in to remission... we are left reeling, fearing the worst.... Given she is still recovering from the transplant, she won’t be able to have any aggressive treatment.

I am at a loss.... 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Devastatingly we found out today that the leukemic blast are 36%!! It seems like the cancer cells never went in to remission... we are left reeling, fearing the worst.... Given she is still recovering from the transplant, she won’t be able to have any aggressive treatment.

I am at a loss.... 

• Sorry to hear this news, these challenges are hard but let’s see if her team can find a way to navigate this in a positive direction ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

I pray they can. Pensive

• From my remote outpost, all I can offer is prayer. Still, all is not yet lost. IMO, the physical sciences can do their part, however, the metaphysical, supernatural realm is where true miracles occur. 

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to po18guy

Thankyou. What is IMO please?

• Sorry! Jargon strikes again. IMO = In My Opinion.