Melanoma after SCT/Radiotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Well I never thought I'd be posting twice in 24 hours after being away for a while!

I had a call today to confirm that a mole I have had removed and biopsied is/was melanoma. It was removed from my sternum that I had radiated in April '19. Appeared after treatment.

Thankfully the melanoma is stage 0, so I just have to have another small op on the area and that's it I think. But I suppose I'm posting because while I am thankful, I also don't really know how to feel about a second cancer following treatment.

Has anyone else had a similar diagnosis or anyone else have some advice from a been there view - I've spoke with my partner and Dad but they are of the view I should be grateful, and it's good news etc, I shouldn't think any more of it. But while I'm not fearing for my life (as I have done previously!) I can't exactly say I'm as over the moon as they feel I should be?! 

Maybe it's my PTSD just overthinking it... 

Xx

• Oh nooooo! At least you’ve had it checked and about to have it totally removed. There’s a lot to be said for active monitoring!

sending hugs xxx

Moomy

• As my oldest granddaughter would say “That is pants Grandad” but good to hear that it was found and being dealt with.

Unfortunately this can always be on the cards following Radiotherapy.

Just before going into my second Allo SCT the consultant Radiologist who was overseeing my 30 radiotherapy zaps said “Mike, you do know that you will most likely develop  skin cancer at some point as your 14 years of skin treatments plus the radiotherapy you have had over the past two years puts you top of the list....”

I was actually told this by my Dermatologist a number of times as well but so far so good and I continue to focus on the positives I have gained from the journey and layoff the negative leftovers ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge