Itchy skin

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi All, I am nearly 14 months post auto sct. I developed a rash and itching a few months ago mainly on the chest, upper back and neck.  The itching  is sometimes unbearable.

I am taking Acyclovir and cotrimaxole which I'm sure has contributed to the rash and itching. 

Anyone else experienced any skin issues and itching following treatment?

Thank you for your time

K. 

• Hi , I had Allo SCTs and yes bad skin issues but this was put down to GvHD.

Have your team said anything about Engraftment syndrome (ES) as this is possible following Auto SCT. Rash and itchy skin is one of the symptoms?

If you have been on Acyclovir and cotrimaxole for the past 14 months and your symptoims are relatively new I would be surprised if it’s these feuds but as I am no expert - who knows.

Whats your team saying?

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry to hear of this development. My experience: I developed a likewise unbearable itching based on Graft-versus-Host-Disease. We went through virtually everything available, including a clinical trial of high-dose Prednisone combined with Ofatumumab (Arzerra), another trial of Kadmon KD-025 (oral pill), topical class 1 steroid Clobetasol, Narrow-band UV-B light therapy, P-UVA light therapy and a port placement for 1.5 years of Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP). Nothing provided lasting or substantial relief. At the end, the choices were narrowing to Ibrutinib and Ruxolitinib (Jakafi). We went with the Jakafi and I knew within 45 minutes of the first dose that we had arrived at something efficacious. I have about two years on the Jakafi at this point.

The following is only my method of coping. I would not advise others to try it. There are yet times when the itching flares and the only way I have found to moderate it is to take an extremely hot, almost scalding shower followed by a cold rinse. This seems to cause the nerves to fatigue and simply stop responding. Of course, a good lotion is needed after this. It is a struggle, but life has become surprisingly acceptable after all of this.  

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you for your reply.  I have been referred to dermatology.  Just thought to see if anyone had experienced similar issues.

I will look up ES though. Have a good day.

K