Stem Cell Transplant

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all

I’m Karen I was diagnosed with diffuse large B cell lymphoma in May 2019. I’ve been through R-CHOP last year and radiotherapy at the beginning of the year however my scan in May showed I still have some activity. So no remission. I’ve met with my consultant at The Freeman and will be starting on R-GDP next week or the week after then onto an auto stem cell transplant hopefully. They said I’d have two cycles of chemo then a scan to see if I’m responding then potentially a 3rd cycle then onto stem cell. 

Has anyone else had this regime. I just don’t know when they will start harvesting stem cells?

• Hi, ,

ideally to harvest your own cells you should be in remission, which I guess they will hope for with the R-GDP, and then a check to see that you’re in a complete remission. 

an auto is tough but do-able and usually leads to a long lasting remission. Your team will no doubt keep you informed, and should support you through this. Teams are getting well experienced at these over the years.

Keep posting, you might find it helpful to keep a journal if you aren’t already, writing about side effects, how you feel, both physically and psychologically. It’s also helpful to fill in a bit of information on your profile (doesn’t have to be a lot) to do this, click on your user name, then into ‘edit my profile’, type away, when finished, click ‘save’. It helps others when replying, rather than having to search to find your earliest posts. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi  and a second welcome to our little corner of the Mac Community.

R-GDP is often used as a salvage to go into Auto SCT so let’s see if those who have had it will pickup on your post.

This is the latest Macmillan info book on  “Understanding stem cell transplants using your own cells (autologous)”- PDF here.

I went straight to Allo SCT as I could not get in remission to harvest cells but big brother was a 10/10 match fir both my Allo’s....... and he never lets me forget this lol.

We are here to walk this with you - just ask your questions and you can also hit the ‘discussions’ tab and see all the conversations.

It would be good if you start your profile as it helps further down the road as you don’t have to say the same things over and over.... hit our names for our stories.

Click to see how to add some details to your profile

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Karen

Sorry to hear your joining, everyone is very friendly here. I have the same type of lymphoma and did salvage chemo when I relapsed but not RGD-P.  I've had to go a bit of long way round over the last year but now in full remission and soon will be having my donor transplant. I really enjoy yoga find it very calming. Maggie's do a free online class twice a week, you just have to contact your local Maggie's to join.

Wishing you all the best for your treatment.

Alice x
  • Yes, as Alices says, our local Maggie’s Centre in normal times are great places to get support but even now, during lockdown they are doing lots of online support.

Our monthly Heamatology group is great, now online. Our amazing Macmillan Heamatology Nurse Consultant joins the meetings and answers questions and at the moment we have 6 SCTites in the group - worth checking out.  

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Karen. My stem cells were harvested approx a month before the auto sct.  I'm now a year post transplant and doing really well. Blood counts are still on the low side but after 3 lots of chemo, this is expected.

Good luck with your current treatment and future transplant.  You're doing great :)