CAR-T and Covid

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Does anyone know if CAR-T therapy will increase my immunity to Covid or decrease me immunity

• Hi , I am not medically trained so can only refer back to my two Allo SCTs.

I am now 4 1/2 years post my second SCT and 3 1/2 years in remission and I am firmly in the ‘at risk’ group because I had been through the SCT treatment and my immune system is still fragile and there is no evidence on how an ex SCT patient would get on catching COVID.

I have not seen anything that would suggest that CAR-T or even SCT can improve immunity against COVID.

So until your team say otherwise I would go with the thought that CAR-T may not increase your immunity to COVID.

I know a good number of very health folks who have fought COVID...... and are doing good now.

Stay safe.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Lellynelly, I had CAR-T last August & am now having to have iVig treatment to try & boost my immune system. Received a letter from my doctors to say I’m at high risk of Covid 19 , so I’d say it does decrease your immunity. Like Mike the Highlander I’m not medically trained , so take all the precautions to keep yourself safe.

Lyn x

• Hi,

I've been reading all the Bloodwise and Lymphoma information about Treatments and Covid and it seems to suspect that having had a blood cancer immediately puts you into the ‘at risk’ group therefore self isolating, plus having had recent (especially a novel) treatment puts you into high risk category. But like the others, I’d suggest checking with your team. 

hugs xxx

Moomy