Allo stem cell transplant

• 29 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi guys

I hope your doing okay. It's all been a bit mad with this covid thing and hospital visits. I think im going bit stir crazy not being able to leave the house. I've started mooing apparently it releases stress lol

I had my first scan on my own as were not allowed visitors any more since stating clinical trial targeting cd20 and t cells. In fact I had 3 scans as they forgot to use arms in mri doh!

Receiving results on your own is scary. Ive started recording now conversation with the doctors so can pass to my family after. They told me they were really pleased  I had 45% reduction after 4 full doses and almost complete clear Pet. I continue just on a tuesday now with my injection and then it goes to every other Tuesday. I feel I'm getting closer to have the allo transplant. 

Anyone on here had a successful allo and can provide some positive information? I've had cart which was a big deal but still feel really nervous about having the allo particularly as their limiting hospital visits so not had proper chance to speak to doctor about it.

Please no scary stories my anxiety can't take it. I've stopped watching the news and trying to limit my social media. I'm concentrating on meditation and yoga.

Many thanks

Alice x

• Hi Alice, yes the COVID stuff is challenging but we will get through it.

If you have looked at my profile you will remember I had 2 Allo SCTs - first in June 2014 and second October 2015.

The first Allo was a punt and if it worked I would recover very quickly but failed within 6 months.

The second was hard work but back in September 2016 I was told I was in remission for the first time in over 17 years from a condition, that back in 1999 was classed as incurable but treatable and I would never experience remission.

So I have absolutely no regrets sitting in the Allo SCT Rollercoaster........ and I would not be here now if I had not went through my Allo’s

((hugs)) from a safe distance x

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Alice

I had my bone marrow transplant last year for AML. I had relapsed a few months earlier after chemo only. I was in hospital for six weeks due to respiratory problems . Going home was a little scary after the security of being on the ward but as each day progressed I felt a little better. I did get admitted for a week with low grade temperatures but that passed quite comfortably without incident. I had some gut GVHD for about 5 months which eventually disappeared in March. Since then I have felt much better almost back to my old self even able to slowly run 3 miles.I do have a bit of mild skin GVHD which though a bit unsightly is not uncomfortable.Three weeks ago my doctors stopped all medication and I only have blood tests every fortnight.In 2 weeks time it will be 1 year since my transplant.

Hope all goes well for you in the next few months xx

Mark

• Morning

Great to hear things are going in the right direction. I had my allo back in May 2013 so I am 3 week short of 7 years post transplant. 

Life post transplant is pretty much back to how it was pre leukaemia.. I am just 8 years older and hopefully a little wiser. 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Hi Alice,

I am over 4 years out from allo now. There were some difficult times but you can do definitely do it Alice and like Paul my life is very much normal now. 

Greg

• Hi Alice, 

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

Daughter had her allo way back in 2011 and is busy right now at this very moment trying to find out where her trumpet (plastic, made by the folk who made the pBone) is, to play the Last Post this evening! Having had radiotherapy and supposedly getting 20% of her massive lung function reduced, she's still performing on trombone, teaching and (yes, even in shielding) enjoying life! She and a soprano who lives near end up doing quite an outside concert at 8pm each Thursday! Daughter got her keyboard out to accompany! What it is to be a freelance musician! 

Yoga and meditation are so healing, carry on......

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thank you Mike Mark Greg Moomy and everyone 

The trial is going really well for me and the other man at my hospital. I hope someday it be available.on nhs as the side effects are minimal compared to having salvage chemotherapy and get better as the weeks go on. Apart from shielding lol I can get.on with.life bake do yoga look after the garden housework. Enjoying my time at home and feeling good. 

When I have the allo know I will be feeling poorly again for a while and lose my hair for third time  so making most of the present 

I hope you are keeping well.

Take care

Alice x

Alice x
  • Hi Alice, good to hear things are going good and yes, enjoy the 'freedom' that you have at the moment.

The beautiful weather is helping me/us get through this shielding lark, but we will get through it.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your words of encouragment and sharing your journey with me. Its amazing to hear how things have worked out positively for you all and gives me hope for the future. I did a birGrinday fundraiser for Anthony Nolan recently as I really wanted to help people to be able to have option for stem cell donor. With the help of friends and family i was told they can register 20 people Grin be possible donors. Grin

I don't know if I've mentioned before. There's a free podcast 'turn panic into peace' by Kara Lowenthail very helpful for anyone struggling with anxiety.

Take care

Alice x

Alice x
  • Well done Alice - every little helps xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Alice123

Hi Alice :-)

I'm a bit late to the party but I just wanted to say hi and give you some words of positivity! 

I had an allo transplant in 2018. I'd had loads of treatment prior (including two different clinical trials) so although I felt apprehensive I was just so keen to get it done! 

It went quite smoothly at the hospital and once I returned home I slept loads. I had some skin GVHD and low white blood counts on and off for ages, plus some other issues but the doctors and nurses were all fabulous and eventually everything sorted itself out. I've still got a funny rash on my hands and feet but I barely notice it now. 

I had a moment a little while ago where I looked in the mirror and felt like me again. I'm back at work (I'm 32), thinking about moving abroad to start a new adventure with my partner, and feel good in myself again.

It isn't easy but you can get through it!! 

Stay safe x