COVID-19 advice for post transplant patients

• 46 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi all,

Following all the recent guidance that has been flying about, I decided to contact my team direct and this is what they said to me this morning:

“It is our strongest advice to follow the guidelines set out by the NHS as much as possible. We know that even several years post-transplant the immune system has not fully recovered.”

So I think the official advice is to follow the shielding guidance, but whether or not you want to follow that is of course a very personal decision.

Sending loads of strength and love. Hope everyone stays safe.

Greg

• Hi Mike

Please to hear you are "behavingyourself"

You are lucky to have click and collect facility, maybe you like out onthe sticks!!!

I cant get any window for over 3 weeks from any of the large supermarkets all within a 2 mile radius of our home.

Although I am shielding my wife as best I can, I am,having  to go to the supermarket for real essential foods, milk, bread, fruit and veg, but only once a week or twice at most.. Our local Tesco is good with the cleaning stations In place and restricting numbers in the store, makes it far safer and also keeping stock on ymthe shelves.

Be good, and stay well.

Nick 

• Hi Nick, the biggest supermarkets in the Highlands are all in the city of Inverness - the population including the surrounding area is about 70,000 but during the summer this can go up to 100,000 with holiday makers so we have a high per (local) head amount of supermarkets so very fortunate.

Keep well - keep safe.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Well I received my second letter from the NHS through the post this morning! Along with the 10 text messages I get from them every day, they really want me to know I’m extremely vulnerable don’t they?!

• Meanwhile, it doesn’t look I’ll be getting the medication anytime soon. Pharmacy2U are in crisis mode and are no longer accepting phone calls. I rang up the GP this morning and asked “what should I do?” which rather worryingly was met with deafening silence. 

These be strange times we live in. Stay safe everyone!

• Very frustrating Greg,

Our local authority (Highland Council) have set up a task force to ensure that people in the high risk groups can receive medical supplies and food.

I had to register through the Scottish link on this Gov-UK page. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Ok, there may be a shortage of pharmacists as there may be ones going down with the virus, but it still doesn't explain why prescriptions are getting lost even in the internet exchange between surgery and pharmacy? 

So sorry, Greg, hope things improve swiftly! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Moomy,

It’s not that it has been lost, it’s just that they can’t get it to me!

Unprecedented times, I think. 

Cheers

Greg

• Hi everyone.

Hope you are all keeping well.

I'm just asking for your opinions really as I don't know where to get the answer.

Our youngest son has lived in Singapore for the last 3 years. His wifes company has now pulled out of the country so they have been busy winding up their life there. At the beginning of March he asked if he could come back home to live. Of course we agreed. It was a pretty desperate situation trying to get a flight out but they eventually got the last flight out of Singapore. They got a train to Birmingham and planned to stay in an Airbnb for 2 weeks before joining us here.

Now my husband has received the hospital letter and our heads are saying he shouldn't be coming back to our house. We tried talking to him about it last night and he got really angry with us. It is not a financial issue as they have always been better off than us and also we have offered to help them out if necessary.

I feel it is too much of a risk even though he says they have quarantined themselves.

Please could I ask if anyone else has any input.

fanilow

• Hi again  - these are difficult times and the greater good in all this has to be kept at the forefront in all we do.

Your son and wife will most likely have to go into 14 days isolation initially but you do need to think about talking with your husbands GP to get their take on this.

If you look at the Governments Guidelines general advice you will see restrictions put in place to stop movement apart from the specific reasons detailed and this may well apply to restricting movement between households apart from caring for vulnerable family....... hence we can't get a visit from our daughter and granddaughter.

Tricky one.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Fanilow, a challenge indeed, sorry if this is stating the obvious and your son was just not listening last night, has he considered the practicalities where its in his dad's best interests to have the house on virtual lock down and that would mean he and his wife not going out other than for essentials and emergencies. Are they prepared to do that for at least the next 12 weeks and if not and they brought the virus into the house how would they feel, both now and in the future. Having been in that situation in Singapore they should have a better understanding and understand things have changed in this country over the last 4 weeks. 

Almost the classic no win situation, sorry you find yourself in this position at such a stressful time, hope common sense prevails

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are