COVID-19 advice for post transplant patients

• 46 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi all,

Following all the recent guidance that has been flying about, I decided to contact my team direct and this is what they said to me this morning:

“It is our strongest advice to follow the guidelines set out by the NHS as much as possible. We know that even several years post-transplant the immune system has not fully recovered.”

So I think the official advice is to follow the shielding guidance, but whether or not you want to follow that is of course a very personal decision.

Sending loads of strength and love. Hope everyone stays safe.

Greg

• Thanks John, based on this information I am more than happy to follow the guidelines my GP gave me during the week.

Stay well everyone.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Paul I received the letter yesterday.  Anyone who has had blood cancer regardless of whether they are in remission or not are in the high risk category. Anyone can go on the Yougov site and register. It will ask you to confirm if you have had one of the high risk diseases. You will need your NHS number.

I called my Blood clinic today and told them about my cough but they said its ok. Its only if you get stomach problems, chest pain, headache, high temperature. There is a long list but they want to know if you have any one of them.

Keep safe everyone

• Hi

i had a telephone clinic appointment last week and they said I was in the vulnerable catagory rather than high risk category. I am being sensible and as my wife is a nurse we are in separate bedrooms and bathrooms etc. So I am self isolating to a degree but I may still going out for a walk with the dogs. So I am OK with not getting the letter. 

if I get any symptoms then I will deal with them as they arise. The fact I have been so ill in the past with ALL and complications at the time means I am probably less worried than the average healthy person. Social distancing and staying at home apart from an hour a day getting some exercise is easy compared with months in a hospital room feeling ill with only Border Patrol to watch!

keep safe everyone. 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Having already been self isolating for a good 2 weeks and already been listed (presumably because of her need for I/gs) as highly vulnerable,  daughter was astonished to get a free food parcel this morning! At least it will supplement her presently rationed foods! 
    what lovely news, it means she now has TWO loo rolls till her online supermarket delivery! Now I don’t need to worry quite so much! 
    hugs xxx

Moomy

• I did laugh out loud moomy....... we are now into day +17 (like SCT again) and just managed to get registered with the Highland Council to get my repeat prescription delivered - hopefully.

Still working on getting a Food delivery but we do have three Click and Collect bookings for the next 3 Fridays just need to arrange someone to pick them up - sorted.

Our Daughters family and us have a few Easyjet bookings for the next 4 weeks but all we are being offered is rescheduling for within the next 6 months - their T&G say we can get a full refund but so far this is only on the phone - laughing out loud again.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• The prescription service is a bit worrying Mike. I ordered antibiotics last week when I got the NHS letter about shielding, but they’ve not arrived yet. They run out tomorrow - been on hold for about 90 mins this morning and finally got through - they can try and do an emergency run but there are no guarantees (they are overwhelmed). I am seriously weighing up not taking antibiotics for a few days until they arrive, rather than going out to the local pharmacy - the minute one of us leave the house is the minute I have to put myself in a room on my own for at least 11 weeks, so I’m desperately trying to avoid that!

Greg

• Yes Greg - it is a very challanging part of trying to do the best thing and make life just that dit more manageable.

I still can't understand why Pharmacies are so busy?......... ours, as most GP practices use an automated online system and if I ask for stuff a full 2 weeks before the repeat date it will not approve it until a few days before its required, unless I say I am going on holiday - as though the UK are all going on holiday atm - mystery?

But at the same time a week back my wife came out in an allergic rash and the Pharmacist did help her out (prescribe) so she did not have to go to the GP........ maybe allergic to me being around so much.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Yes, this prescription wait is rather puzzling, Hubs is on insulin and did an online repeat only for it to get lost somehow between GP and pharmacy ( it’s electronic for goodness’ sake!) , he couldn’t re-order as the system didn’t let him and the pharmacy couldn’t trace anything. Fortunately after a somewhat irate phone call (which took 20 minutes to get through!) the GP redid the script and a week later (it seems to take that long!) the pharmacy said they were so behind that they hadn’t got it.....when I persisted suddenly it got found and completed; but it meant me being in the shop for half an hour while other folk milled around being served, if I’m now infected who is to blame????

What a bind! 
    Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Greg, 

my advice would be to alternate days if needed but seriously think about phoning the pharmacy and insisting they get it sorted? Hope it does get sorted! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• So the latest word from my team is I am still to 'behave myself' but no social distancing in the house and my wife should only go out where very necessary to pick up Click and Collect and we have prescriptions organised to be delivered....... if all fails our daughter will collect and deliver our Click and Collect to the door and my wife is working from home anyway so door has been locked for 2 days Slight smile

Still ok to walk in the forest at the back of our house if we want, but only on calm days (in Scotland!!)..... give people a very wide berth put on a mask/scarf over my face and gloves and wash hands immediately when we get back in and hang jackets etc up out the back garden to air.

But also advised to just take extra care for the next 2-3 weeks........ so started a regular workout in the house or in the back garden.

Keep safe folks.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge