post stem cell transplant

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 10 subscribers

so just had the heavy discharge talk from the nurses about all the do's and dont's post transplant 

how do you put all of this into context as a the main carer - diet , no sunshine, boiling water, follow up appointments . 

why isn't this discussed in more detail prior to the transplant 

does anyone have a good website for food ideas and dealing with altered taste and poor appetite 

• Hi ,

it’s tough but if you stick to the usual diet as for pregnant Mums, it should be straightforward; no raw eggs (cooked through fully), no shellfish, no blue cheeses, no raw or undercooked meats/pies/fish etc, no salads, no fruit that cannot be first washed then peeled, veggies need to be cooked. That’s not too bad this time of year, to be honest. 

Keep away from obvious infections, kids are a walking infection risk of course! And no dealing with dog or cat waste. 

You’ll get used to it, honestly. About tempting a jaded appetite, small tasty meals and often as needed. You’ll know what can tempt! 

Hugs xxx

ps, they should have given you a ‘dont’s’ diet sheet? If you’ve any worries then ask to speak to a dietician at your earliest chance, maybe at a clinic soon. 

Moomy

• Hi  and a warm welcome to our little corner of the Community from me.

These talks are very person orientated and based on where the patient is at post SCT so one fit will not fit all.

First you can have a look at this thread where we have collected thoughts about our post SCT Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

Also have a look at this The First year post SCT by the Anthony Nolan Trust

I have been through two Allo SCTs so by the time I got out of the unit I was in a bad bad way - you can HIT our Community names to see our stories. My immune system had not recovered by the time I was sent home - but there were a few bugs found their way into the unit so was sent home. I was clearly told "Do not be in crowded places for a year"....... but that was my advise for where I was at T+20...... but 6 months in my team started to slowly take the limitations away from me.

I had a skin lymphoma so sun has never been my friend even and more so now.... cover up, cover up and good high factor 

Follow up appointments are a bind but they need to be done....we are in Inverness, my SCT unit in Glasgow so in the early days post SCT we were doing the 8-9 hour round trip once a week for a 15min appointment this was reduced after about 6 weeks then moved to Video Conference - but they want to see you in person.

I was off food in a big way and nothing tasted of anything......... so it was little and often.....  a grazing diet.

So well cooked scrambled eggs for breakfast, good home made soups blended and served in a mug with some cream to provide protein, I lived on mash and melted cheese........ taste does not come in to it, it is all about protein for recovery...... and as moomy says some simple exercise and if that is just walking round the house great, its a foundation to build on.

We are always around to listen and help as best as you can.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

thank you for this information 

have down loaded the after the treatment PDF to read 

so much to absorb and so little time to put in place -

• Best advice we were given and will always give is take each day at a time, don't fret about tomorrow, deal with tomorrow when it comes round........and as one of the other group members will often say.... this is all temporary - this will all pass.

Remember we are always around to help out and answer questions and no question is silly.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Yes, Mike is right, no sense in trying to forward plan yet, take each day, in fact each hour, at a time! 

One of the worst things about the early weeks post discharge is the weekly clinic appointments, but they very quickly ease off, to be honest, and in a way at the start they are a comfort blanket! 

Gentle daily exercise helps, walk round house at first, then the garden and then venturing out. I always suggest planning a circular walk as it’s then very easy to cut back swiftly if it’s too much. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy