Pneumonia

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 20 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hello all. Hope I'm posting in right place... have any of you had pneumonia post transplant?  I did at 5 months post ( they thought fungal) .... and now again 16 months post. They doing tests and not sure if fungal, bacterial or viral? Which have any of you had? I dont know which would be worse... viral cant be treated can it? So what happens if  itgets worse. I'm worried. I have fevers and they not budged for 2 weeks at home on oral antibiotics.  I'm in hospital now.

Many thanks

Jacqui ( jalola)

• Hi Jacqui,

yes, daughter did, a few times post allo SCT. They gave her I/v antibiotics and also used inhaled Pentamidine. They can treat viral pneumonia with antiviral drugs and also fungal with antifungal drugs. 

Hope you improve very soon

Hugs xxx

ps, please do fill in a bit of info in your profile, I checked to see if you’d had an auto or allo and it’s blank. Doesn’t have to be much..... click on your name then go to ‘edit my profile’, when you’ve done, click save. xxx

Moomy

• Hi Jacqui , this is oh so frustrating but rather normal and I am was the same.

I am 4 years post Allo and have been in hospital 5 times for a total of 31 days with bad Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infection, the RSV Virus (in isolation for 7 days with that one) Pneumonia x 2 and Sepsis x 2............ my aim is to say clear of the hospital this winter Thumbsup

They basically have something to cover all infections and its a balance as to what will work the best. So once they have the tests results in they will hit it with the best meds......... all my inpatient meds were IV and from month 11 post Allo I was also on Pentamidine every 4 weeks for 6 months.

I am on an antibiotic (Clarithromycin) for life and also have an emergency stock of another antibiotic if I develop infections over the weekend or away from home.

Lets look for you to get the back of this ASAP.

((hugs)) from a distance.

It would be great if you put some information in your profile as this really helps others when answering. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Hello sorry to hear about your daughter. They started me on tazacin ( sorry if spelling wrong) ... in case bacterial... but no change to fevers ... it's been 32 hours...I have coronavirus too.... but apparently that one cant be treated!

Thankyou I will look at my profile.  I had allo unrelated transplant 

Many thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thankyou thehighlander.

Waiting for results.  One expert thought looks fungal on ct scan but another thinks bacterial . Might have to have an unpleasant test done... to take a sample.

Last time I do not remember these relentless fevers...  is this normal? 

Sounds like you have been through so much . You are brave ... 

Thankyou x

• We are all brave...... and we all do what we have to do to get through this stage.

The five times I had to go in for NHS DB&B there were sure fire sign there was something wrong - I would be shaking from head to toe like a jelly and my temperature was over 40.

By the third time we were dab hands of getting me into hospital and on IV rather quickly.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Jacqui,

daughter too had a MUD ( matched unrelated donor), an incredibly close match apart from blood group.

hang on in there, they may well need to change antibiotic, they tend to use a wide spectrum one to start with, but it might just need to be a different one. If your cough is productive then it shouldn’t take the path lab long to culture. Hope things improve very soon 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Hi moomy.  Nothing showing in cultures. But because broad spectrum antibiotics not working... tomorrow they looking to do a broncoscopy.  Has anyone had one? Can it go wrong and damage me? Dont like the thought of it . X

• I had a Bronchoscopy 6 years back and it was not a problem, even watched the picture from the Camera on the big screen.

I did get a mild sedation just to relax me but never felt a thing...... have a look at the link above ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thankyou thehighlander... did it do the job in finding correct thing? ? And do u recall how many days results took? .... as each day counts that I'm not on the right meds. 

Because you are so full knowledge:)... do u recall your crp levels with pneumonia? Mine in the 200s... so very high! 

Thankyou I will look at link x

• This was leading up to my main chemo before I went on to SCT.

It was used as a visual check as my mass was restricting my breathing, they also tried to take a biopsy of my existing Asbestosis but could not get in so had to have a separate CT Guided Biopsy...... these results took a week to come back, but your team may well be taking a swab.

Sorry, don't know my CRP levels but high CRP can be caused by a number of factors but just ask your team.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge