Day 1307

• 24 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Just has my 4 monthly check-up and I felt compelled to post. 

I am now on Day 1307 (don’t worry, I’m not counting, the consultant says it flashes up when he loads up my screen). All my bloods are good and I feel well.

I am posting because being back in that hospital, being back in that waiting room, smelling that distinctive disinfectant hand wash, running my hands on those wiped clean seats, it all contrived to drag up those buried memories of just how horrific the SCT process actually is, and I instantly thought of you guys right in the middle of it now. That building contains all of my worst nightmares, yet it is also filled with the people who have the warmest hearts that I have ever come across, so it was a truly confusing experience.

The reason for my post is because my life is now back to normal. I have achieved a life I so desperately wanted (even if I moan about it as every human does!). I am no longer consumed by treatments, living day to day, trying to rationalize what the hell is happening to me. I know it doesn’t work out for everyone, but I just wanted to say that there really is a good life on the other side of SCT. The bad times are definitely only temporary and you can definitely get to where you want to be. Just keep hanging in there, as best you can.

All the best to everyone in the middle of it right now.

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

The New Forest is showing a few tints already, feeling cooler and autumnal today. I will be interested in what your GP says. I don't like saying to them 'I saw this on the internet ...' and hear them groan inside. 

Going back to Greg's original post, it did 'feel' different when I went to the hospital yesterday. For so long it was a place of dread - it's so busy in the entrance area, like going through a railway station, but with people in wheelchairs instead of people wheeling luggage. Now I feel I can cope with the busyness and crowds after being a scared hermit for so long. If I have some time to spare I head for the Macmillan Centre and garden as a refuge of calm. 

Tessa

• Good to hear you are doing so well, Tessa.  I also don't come to read here every day.  Perhaps we all go through a period of needing some distance from the treatment and to find some normality.  The hospital now seems so familiar that I don't notice the surroundings.  Like you, though, I take myself down to the Macmillan centre and garden if I am there for any time.  Lovely haven of peace. 

I have never found anything online that relates my CD4 count to any scale of normality.  Mine remains low, but the hospital has suggested starting the revaccination programme anyway. 

I have had an ongoing problem with very stiff and painful joints all over, since April.  All tests have proved negative and the consultant finally wondered if it might be Aciclovir toxicity.  He swapped me onto Famciclovir and - hey presto! - the joint problem has gone away.  Something else unexpected to put down to experience! 

I have been gardening for a long time, albeit carefully.  It doesn't seem to have done anything to boost my CD4 count!  I still drink boiled water and eat no shellfish, but I have been eating runny eggs ever since the guidance to pregnant women changed and British Lion-marked eggs were deemed salmonella free. 

Returning to a tap dancing class in a week!  First one in two and a half years. I have found a small group with four sympathetic students who will keep lurgies away from me. 

We also managed three days away in Kent last week, in a good b&b with high standards.  First break in three years!  Managed to visit outdoor gardens and historic houses.

It's a long haul, but we are still seeing progress. I feel completely well now.  Stable blood counts and no infections. Just waiting for the immune system to catch up. 

Sheri 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MissSatomi

Well, spoke too soon. Doctor doesn't like my recent blood tests and wants me to have a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow morning. At least I don't have to sit and worry for too long, but I know it takes a few weeks for the results to come through. That will be the hard part.

Oddly I was reading something about resilience this morning, and the importance of maintaining a feeling of control. So this afternoon I have been madly cleaning and tidying the house. Just the ironing to do. And I don't feel especially tired, hard to believe there might be something wrong.

I'm 824 days post allo. As I understand it, the risk of relapse at this stage is only 5%.

Tessa

• Ah Tessa ((hugs)) and fingers crossed Fingers crossed xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• ((((Tessa)))  Big ones. 

When my blood counts went haywire, it turned out to be a toxic reaction to the medication I was taking at the time - then Cyclosporine, but I've had another toxic reaction to the Aciclovir I have been taking for 2 1/2 years. 

Not invariably a sinister explanation, by any means.   

Sending love and positive thoughts down the M27. 

Sheri xx

• Oh Tessa, 

sending hopeful hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Doctor says it might be reaction to co-trimoxazole which they took me off last week. Platelets and haemoglobin down, neutrophils plummeted, so it's back onto very careful hygiene regime, and not exhausting myself or going too far from home. Will be having blood tests twice weekly to monitor and they have changed my antibiotic.

Tessa

• I would take this as good news Tessa 

((hugs)) xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Far be it for me to speculate on the basis of my non-existant medical knowledge - but that is exactly the pattern my medication toxicity followed, too. 

Have a good rest and look after yourself.  Lots of feet up and telly! 

Sheri  xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Greg, what a beautiful thought. Thank you for sharing.

Tessa, hang in there. I hope it ends up being a relatively easy fix.

With love,